Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Hard Starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Hard Starting

Ok, well your starter is not the problem and I don't think valve seals are either. You either don't have injector pulse or spark. Easy enought to run down. Try some ether when it won't start and see if it does then. Don't go overboard with it.[8D]

Old 09-23-2006, 09:51 PM

Ok, where do i get ether and where do i put it and how much do i put... Lol, im such a newbie. I am gonna refer back to your other post to check how to see if i have injector pulse or spark. I am SUPPOSED to get my car back on monday now. They didnt even touch it today. Hopefully i get it back then. If i do, i will definately try whatever you suggest and then tell you if it worked.!! Thanks again for your help mech.

Matt

Old 09-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

you can get ether at any auto parts, just a light mist into the air intake inlet, just give it a taste, don't drown it. [8D]

Old 09-26-2006, 06:51 PM

Ether = starter fluid. Another question, when its cold does it crank quickly? when its hot does it crank just as quickly? The heat soak on the coil could make it hard to start after it's warmed up, but would not explain the cold starting problem. Also when was the last time you changed the fuel filter? I read on another one of your posts about oil on a spark plug, have you done a comp test? I just dont see a little oil on the plug doing this, unless it's a LOT of oil. And my last question, what are the cold cranking amps on your battery, and how old is it? This one is a shot in the dark but a cheap and easy fix.. good luck.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:13 PM

Ummm... No, it doesnt crank quickly AT ALL... UNLESSSSSS I depressurize (bleed) the fuel system by taking out the f.p. fuse and then cranking the engine over to get all the fuel out of the lines. Then it will start right up for about 3 or 4 starts. then it goes right back to the way it was. It hard starts when it is hot also. The fuel filter was replaced about 3 months ago. It wasnt just a little oil... it was quite a bit. But that is beside the point now because my mechanic told me that the problem was fixed with the oil on the spark plugs. I was going to get a diagnostic this week. Umm, the CCA's is 690 and the CA's is 820 and the battery is not a dry cell battery or whatever they are called and it is at least a year old. It was in the car when i got it.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you are getting to much fuel in the combustion chamber. Didn't you put some high flow injectors in? What is your exact fuel pressure reading @ idle and KOEO. Then unplug vacuum line from pressure regulator @ idle and take reading. Have you had a tune put on the engine? I'm just wondering if your flowing to much fuel. Have you physically pulled a few plugs out and see if they look chalky black (gas fouled)? Sorry for all the questions, but we need to start narrowing down your problem.

Old 09-27-2006, 03:16 PM

Also in a earlier reply you said you had changed to #30 injectors, has the computer been tuned for them? It also sounds like a starter or battery system problem, (slow cranking cold and hot). I'm not exactly sure why they put #30 injectors in your car? Did you upgrade heads? or a cam maybe? or both? I'm under the impression you may have more than one issue here.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:27 PM

I have already changed my Injectors back to stock but yes, i do have ungraded heads and cam.