Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Head gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Default Head gaskets

Ok heres whats up. I think I keep smelling antifreeze. Took it to a shop a while back to have it pressure tested. Charged me fifty bux said no leaks. They lied, they dont do pressure testing. Found that out. So w/e with them idc. I removed my exaust pipes from teh cats back.. Running straight gutted cats/manifolds right now. I think I smell antifreeze but its hard to tell becuz the engine bay stinks when it gets hot because its so gunked up. My valve covers leak oil pretty bad. They only cost 40 bux so ok. Im going to eventually take em off and repalce the gaskets. How can I tell if the head gaskets are leaking without smelling it. Where can I get it pressure tested at. How much to fix them, and who can fix them. Will it kill my motor if they are leaking. Why do they blow out. I had my block rebuilt about 2 years ago. I know the bearing rod was replaced because it broke. So maybe they replaced the gaskets. I dunno. Changed the oil recently and it looked fine...New radiator, waterpumpm hoses, resovoir ect. Today I cleaned up the engine bay with dawn soap. It cut thru that oil like nothing. LOL strong stuff. Scrapped it off with my finger nails too. My hands are sliced up and a little bleeding but oh well. It makes my car better.YAY! Like I said the oils fine....sooo. How can I tell besides the oil and smelling it. Its to hard to smell because its so stinky from all the old gunk burning in the bay. Cant get it all ya no. So how do I know. There is NO LEAKS underneath the car anywhere!!!!!.....Is this good? I smell exaust alot but I dunno if thats antifreeze smell or not. Yes, I know it would smell sweet but I cant tell and im kinda paronoid about it. Cant loose this motor!!! So change the oil more often or what.....Heres why im so intent on making it unique. Theres this SUPER HOT chick im trying to hook up with and she likes my car. Thats why I put neons on it, changed the interior bought racing harnesses and rims and exaust and stuff. Also got limo tint for some kissie kissie HOPEFULLY at stoplights.Gentlman know what I mean. hehe. I want to make it the best it can be. The nicest, fastest, most reliable thing ever!!! Ive started chroming up the engine bay pretty cheaply. Trying to clean it up. My AIR pump is making this AWFUL noise so im getting the pully eliminator to clean up the bay, shut up the pump and make it look nicer and get rid of the excess weight and uncessecary emissions equipment......Head gaskets....how else can I tell. Please only serious inquiries abut this. I want to make it reliable cuz im going on a family beach trip in august and i am so hoping shell go out with me and shell come with us. Last year in september we went and my car broke down. It was just me and my parents. Blithewood south carolina. Far away from hilton head island. My radiator fan motor went out and the drain plug on the radiator MELTED. It was not properly installed and it was cheap plastic. New ones plastic too but I made dang sure its goon in there. No check engine light on until I floor it because I have no 02 sensor I suppose. No I tried checking codes and I cant keep count of the flases to annoying. Please help a.s.a.p. and I did a tune up on it too and nothing strange seemed to be wrong....Thanks....

Old 06-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Default RE: Head gaskets

There are a few ways you can check to see if MAYBE a head gasket has blown. The engine can over heat, white smoke out the exhaust pipes and you can take out the spark plugs and see if you have any cooloant on the plugs or coolant runs out the plug holes. If you do and its a good amount you are risking hydrolocking the engine.Are you smelling coolant inside the car or just the exhaust? You sure your heater core isn't leaking? You know these cars are notorious for heater core leaks. If your car isn't blowing smoke or overheating you probably do not have a bad gasket but thats not always the case. If you have a blown head gasket and its leaking internally your gas mileage should also decrease and do it rather drastically, to the point that its undriveable. Your cylinders can fill up with coolant and you just went from having a blown head gasket to a rebuild on the engine. A leak down test is going to be your best bet. If you do have a leak hopefully you don't have a warped head. You can also gut the air pump and it will spin freely on the pulley with no restrictions if you cannot affort the eliminator kit. I have not done this but I know it can be done because many people have. That would (should) kill the air pump noise your hearing.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:18 PM

Im screwed. I have no car. Just got back from the radiator shop and they did a dye test. Said once they put the dye in it it came out right then and failed. Blown headgasket 1500-2000 dollars 15-20 hour jobb. Im screwed so bad. My dad walks out and says not my problem, i aint paying for it. The repair guy is like damn....Im like....uhh...heres 20 bux and chase after my dad. He leaves the parking lot and doesnt even wait for me to get IN my car......We honestly cant afford this. What do I do. I HAVE to drive it right now. Our explorer was just sold and that was my DD. He said the heads have to be sent off to be refurbished/ect from the colant leaking. I know hes not lieing cuz he came up front and said im sorry but this is getting out of our hands we can do the repair but the heads, you guys are on your own. He said, you need a race shop to work on this car. [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]He did say your car sounds like a race car cuz im running straight manifolds though. Well. I gotta drive my car, so I dunno whats going to happen. The block of the motor is only a year and a half 2 years old.....give or take a few months....Its the summer THANK GOD, but I am getting a job but its at a golf course minimum wage...and I cant save up enough cash in 3 months. I gotta go to college in august...What do I do??? SOMEONE HELP PLEASE!!! Oh yea, Lee**angel of death** you were one of themembers.... that was being mean to me. Why? Your nice to me on here but mean on there???? That made 0 sense to me at all....Anyway, thats the least of my concern, my cars motor is riding on a chance here of surviing everytime i crank the key. Yes, I smell antifreeze. Yes, sometimes when I crank it up it blows out white smoke from the **exaust/empty cat shells** and yes it is a gasket. Why does this have to happen to me. My dad is sooo mad right now...Im so mad right now but more . No consoling here will make me feel better. Unless one of you guys comes to my house and wants to rebuild my motor/head gaskets/w/e for free...

Old 06-09-2007, 03:59 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: Black86vette

Theres this SUPER HOT chick im trying to hook up with and she likes my car. Thats why I put neons on it, changed the interior bought racing harnesses and rims and exaust and stuff. Also got limo tint for some kissie kissie HOPEFULLY at stoplights.Gentlman know what I mean. hehe.
Can you trade the neons and the harness and the rims and stuffin on some tools?

You didn't really want a babe that wanted you for your stuff tho, right? Instead of who you are, right?

Sounds like a priority or two might be displaced. Not sayin' that to be mean either. Buy some tools, and break down your top end. When your dad sees how well you're re-workin' the intake and heads, he might help out. With a wrench, and maybe also with the wallet. You got a real opportunity here dude.

Havin' high-end stuff takes work. Not play.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:29 PM

LOL of cousre I want her to want me for me. She drives a 99 GT mustang which....kind of bothers me but oh well....I dont think shes in it for the money/car but still its nice to impress others. Second, I have a garage full of tools. We got a welder, drill press, saws, torx, screw drivers, about every wrench there is, lots of car "materials/fix its" 2 dremels with all the little heads, blah blah blah. List goes on. He has forked out ALOT of cash for me and I am VERY grateful and realistically he has done more for me than I expected. My mom even pitched in. She paid half of what it cost my tranny to be rebuilt while my dad paid the other half. My dad is the one along with me who does all of the wrenching that doesnt involve rebuilding ya no. Just the minor things. Tune up, fuel filters, plugs, We ported the plenum together, cleaned it up real good, worked on the interior ect ect ect. We got factory service manual and a haynes manual, floor jack, ramps ect...We have most tools that need be to work. We just dont really have the smarts, and heavy machinery which is way to expensive. Like a lift...Wish I had about 40,000 to get a nice lift.....Anyway, I know your not trying to be mean. I need input and help and negative input which is fine with me as long as its not putting down on me trying to hurt me like other members did on a different forum and I was the one punished. We installed the system**speakers/amp** ourselves but it took some work. Im not really sure how to break into the top end. To be honest, I am scared to get in there because of fear of tearing something up and not being able to put it back together. I got a whole summer and some spare $$$ coming in. Alot of time because I am only part time...tried to find a better job but no luck. Im still trying though.Ill work two jobs for the money. Anyway, I hear the gaskets are notorious for going out. But when I get it fixed, Ill be able to breath and say, one more thing is fixed and it ONLY made the car better and more reliable. Plus, im stupid in school but if i got car brains, itll def. help out with the chix with some mustangs or w/e. I try to stay away from the honda infested ones. YUCK! Anyway, thanks for the response. Peace out.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:18 PM

do it your self its not that hard, make it a project what ever you do dont pay a shop to do it !!!!!!! im sure this is somthing you and you dad can do!!! im 100% sure just get the manual and do it one step at a time you have us to help you allong the way!!!!