Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Headlight upgrade suggestions please.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Default Headlight upgrade suggestions please.

I have and 85 corvette and want to upgrade the stock headlights to increase visability at night time. I work at night so preferably the brightest ones out there that are still legal is what im looking for. Im kinda looking at the european hella headlights on eckler's corvette site. Has anyone tried these? How bright are they? Im also considering the sylvania xtra brights as another option asa more cheaper option. Anyone try these ones? Any suggestion or opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:26 AM
Default RE: Headlight upgrade suggestions please.

I've got the Sylvania Silverstarsealed beams on my 1990 Corvette. They are definitely brighter than the stock blubs but still not quite what I'd like. As I recall, they run around $20 each.

I'd really like to have a HID conversion but don't know if anyone makes one that would work on a Corvette.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:15 PM

I got the 6000 K HID conversion kit of ebay for my camaro z28. The diffrence is night and day! and it makes your car look a lot crisper and cleaner. I just noticed that the kit that fits the camaro is the same for the vette, so i'm going ot take it off hte camaro this weekend and put it on the vette. I'll make sure ot take some pictures. But HIDS are way way worth the money! nothing else compares.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:17 AM

Sylvania is suppose to be pretty good.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:15 AM

This is probably a moot point since the original post was last year and the changes have most likely already been made..but I would like to make an observation.
Not that long ago..(and maybe still)..it was required that headlights be dimmed when approaching another vehicle either from behind or head-on. This was more than just a courtesy. If the oncoming driver is blinded by your light..he (or she) may make a move that is dangerous to YOU. This is especially true on winding roads or on rainy streets when glare is an issue.
Many vehicles are equipped with WAY more lights than are required for safe driving. Most are for appearance and to satisfy the egos of drivers driving less flashy vehicles than they would really like to own.
The advertisements that tout the extra visibility don't mention the dangers of approaching a driver that can't see because of your extra brilliance.
I'll admit..some driving conditions lend themselves to brighter headlights. Open desert highways come to mind or country roads where traffic is minimum.
However...if the extra lumens are primarily to draw attention to yourself, you may want to reconsider. It's difficult enough to escape attention in a Corvette. I was once pulled over out of a crowd of about fifteen speeding vehicles coming home from work one night. The officer admitted I was one of many speeders but told me I was the only Corvette in the bunch and he just wanted to make a point to all of them. (He didn't issue a ticket but he certainly could have.)
Anyway..the Corvette doesn't need the extra flash of super bright lights to announce it's arrival. People already know you're there and most would love to be in your seat.
Just my opinion folks....Have a great day. NineBall

Old 03-01-2008, 11:44 AM

ORIGINAL: NineBall

This is probably a moot point since the original post was last year and the changes have most likely already been made..but I would like to make an observation.
Not that long ago..(and maybe still)..it was required that headlights be dimmed when approaching another vehicle either from behind or head-on. This was more than just a courtesy. If the oncoming driver is blinded by your light..he (or she) may make a move that is dangerous to YOU. This is especially true on winding roads or on rainy streets when glare is an issue.
Many vehicles are equipped with WAY more lights than are required for safe driving. Most are for appearance and to satisfy the egos of drivers driving less flashy vehicles than they would really like to own.
The advertisements that tout the extra visibility don't mention the dangers of approaching a driver that can't see because of your extra brilliance.
I'll admit..some driving conditions lend themselves to brighter headlights. Open desert highways come to mind or country roads where traffic is minimum.
However...if the extra lumens are primarily to draw attention to yourself, you may want to reconsider. It's difficult enough to escape attention in a Corvette. I was once pulled over out of a crowd of about fifteen speeding vehicles coming home from work one night. The officer admitted I was one of many speeders but told me I was the only Corvette in the bunch and he just wanted to make a point to all of them. (He didn't issue a ticket but he certainly could have.)
Anyway..the Corvette doesn't need the extra flash of super bright lights to announce it's arrival. People already know you're there and most would love to be in your seat.
Normal headlights hurt my eyes at night. I have senstive eyes though so....

Old 03-15-2008, 11:27 AM

ORIGINAL: TheAngelOfDeath

ORIGINAL: NineBall

Normal headlights hurt my eyes at night. I have senstive eyes though so....

then you should get the Hid conversion kit, and wear some sunglasses at night

and it's not hte "brightness" of the lights that get me, it's the type of light if that makes sense. you'll look like everyone else on the road cept a bluish tint if you get 6000k, and u have your headlights aimed correctly...

but the light from the hid is more close to the sun than ****ty haologen. that's why you can read road signs and anything reflective from twice as far away if not further.