Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

headlights are next

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Default headlights are next

i put new gears in my headlights today rh works great left side the motor does not run.i have ohms across the motor no power to the connector i checked the connectors they seem to be fine. its a 85 with the 2 wire upgrade i asume they work like window motors reverse polarity motors sounds like the module ha?

Old 09-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Default RE: headlights are next

2wire upgrade? do you mean the 88 up system? also, can you turn the motor by hand?

Old 09-30-2007, 06:37 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: racerrick

no power to the connector i checked the connectors they seem to be fine.
???

No power to the connector? You mean coming to the connector from the headlight switch?

Connectors are fine?You have voltage coming into the connector from the headlight switch???

Old 09-30-2007, 07:11 PM

I'm going to assume you have the new type system.

Disconnect both connectors at the module, you have a 4 wire and a 5 wire connector. On the 5 wire connector you have, yellow (A), red (B), white (C), black (D), red (E). Check (B) & (E) and see if you have 12 volts. (B) is for the left motor, (E) for the right motor. If you do, you have voltage to the module. If you're not getting 12 volts to (B), which is the left side, then you could have a bad fusible link or a bad wire.

If there is power to the module, check and see if (A)has 12Vonlywith the headlight switch on . Then check if (C)has 12Vwith the headlight switch off. If you don't, you could have bad wiringor a badheadlight switch.

If everythingabove checks out alright, you have power to the module.

With both connectors still disconnected,open theLH light assembly about half way by hand using the manual ****. Apply 12 voltsand a ground to the green/blackand grey/blackwires on the 4 wire connector. If the motor runs, then you probably have a bad module.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:13 AM

yes its the 88 up systm and the motor turns free anf locks up and down

Old 10-01-2007, 07:14 AM

at the 2 wire connector to the motor i have no power there rh light works fine

Old 10-01-2007, 07:53 AM

Ok...follow the instructionsabove carefully and let us know what find.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:32 PM

got power to the controller if i run 12v to the motor it turns but jams at the end of the cycle. i turn the know and it cycles the other way and jams again. i asume im not killing the power soon enough and its jaming.if i stop short it eill run both ways with no problem.so i guess its the controllerill have to order 1 monday thanks for you help. oh i left the controller hookes from last week and the new battery was dead i hope the new controller fixes it. i did forget to metion the lh motor would run when ever it felt like it sometimes it woke me up in the middle of the nite thanks again

Old 10-05-2007, 05:48 PM

Hi Rick....definetly sounds like the control module, at least you know what the problem is now. Should be an easy fix from this point.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 10-05-2007, 08:48 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: racerrick

. i did forget to metion the lh motor would run when ever it felt like it sometimes it woke me up in the middle of the nite thanks again
[sm=insomnia.gif][sm=insomnia.gif][sm=insomnia.gif]HUH??? Wakes you up? You got GOOD hearin' there dude! Unless you sleep in the vette...

Sometimes I do that too, but only when I'm drivin'

Quick Reply: headlights are next