Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Help fixin up my 1st vette

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Default Help fixin up my 1st vette

Hey fellow vette lovers.I am 16 years old and always have loved vettes so on my 16 b-day I had my dad go and co sign on a $5,000 dollar note for me so i could geta vette.I found one not to far from me in Oklahoma city and went to take a look at it. but before i even saw it i knew i was going to by it. When i saw it i fell in love. A 1984 red with red interior and a hot cam. So as you can imagine it was soon to be mine.

now i am stuck with it i need to find what the correct timing is for it i need new tires, a new headlight motor, new exaust and some new paint as well as a few other minor things. Please will you help me find a web site were i could find cheap parts and if any one knows any vette clubs in Oklahoma thanks

robert

Old 01-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Default RE: Help fixin up my 1st vette

Welcome All84vette!

Have your dad sign another $5K note to get all the work you wish done. Actually, $10K would be better, as it will cost you more than $5K to get a quality paint job on your Corvette.

Ain't youth wonderful???

Old 01-10-2007, 02:22 PM

parts and pieces Eckler's. & Great junkyard for vettes....corvette generation 352-523-0900. And the other poster is right expect to drop another 5 or 10 G's to get it to where its safe. Happy motoring

Old 01-10-2007, 02:31 PM

Congratulations on the new addition to your family! You're gonna love it, my friend. Yessir, Ecklers is a fantastic source, as well as Corvette Central. There are also several good wreckers around, from what I've heard. I'll let some of the other members point those out to you.

Best of luck with your project! Post some pictures, if you can? We'd love to see your car.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:53 PM

The timing im sure is around 6 BTDC, but you can go as high as 10 if its the same as the L98. Look for a sticker somewhere near the front of the engine bay, it says it on there. I like madvette.com for my parts. Jegs and summit racing are also good. Check out tirerack for some deals on tires. If you go buy tires, take your dad with you so you dont get screwed around. If you push them hard enough, you can get a good deal. I got for goodyear eagles for $85/wheel installed.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:35 PM

I have an 84 That I'm parting out, what all do you need?

Old 01-11-2007, 08:27 PM

don't buy a headlight motor until you decide that it's the motor and not the gears. .
they strip and come apart because they are plastic. Gears are cheaper than motor assemblies
remember: the obvious isn't aways what's wrong.
another one I like is: the problem is always more complicated than it looks

Old 01-11-2007, 08:38 PM

look bro. the 85 ive got is my first vette also but i bought from a friend of a friend so they knew the car the motor trans and rear was workd and she was getting a divorce so i got it cheap but these older models call for some qork your young enough to put some cash and time in it to have a hot ride

Old 01-11-2007, 08:45 PM

Get ready to get your hands dirty, learn a lot and have fun. Do all the work you can to same money. Preparing the body for paint can same you lots of money. Lots of books around to clue you in on basic body work. Get your Dad to help.

If you have a 1984 Vette, the ditigal dash can be a problem. The electronics and electrics will be your biggest concern.

Good luck & have fun

Old 01-11-2007, 09:04 PM

I agree with you SkipS,thats why I'm parting out the one I have. I was going to fix it up, but I just dont have the timeand I really dont feel like shelling out the cash to make it great.

Quick Reply: Help fixin up my 1st vette