Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Default Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall

So for the last two weeks, I have been working on the vette. First item of business was to remove the 20 year old aftermarket alarm system. Believe me folks, its not worth it to get an alarm installed in your vette. Nothing like resplicing a 1986 wiring harness in 16 different places that required almost all the interior pieces to be removed. Wow, talk about getting to know your car. I foundbroken plastic parts on every broken panel and switch. Hence, been working on the vette for the past two weeks.

I found a place in town that sells fresh 2 part epoxy resins, and with a lot a patience, cleaning, and taping, glassing, sanding, painting, and polishing, I have just about completed the task.I bought a special red paint from wal-mart for plastic Unbelievably it was a perfect match for the red and blackinterior pieces on the 1986 corvette.

I could have bought all new pieces, butthis worked out really well, for being an unexpected part of the alarm removeal project(again....just get lo jack).

Next is to recondition the door panels and window trim.

Now that I have everybody's attention, Does anyone have a preference in buying the P255/50/16??? It seems I'm stuck with two choices, but would really like to run Goodyear Eagleson it. I believe it came stock with Goodyear Gatorback (first directional style tire from goodyear, and first directional style wheel on the corvette 84, 85, 86)

Old 10-22-2007, 08:12 AM
cwb
Default RE: Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall

ORIGINAL: 86 Ironhead

Wow, talk about getting to know your car.
Uh-huh! Good for ya'[sm=smiley20.gif]

Ain't no better way to solve problems than to know the car. Ain't no tellin' how many other problems ya' solved too.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Ric
Default RE: Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall

Hi 86 Ironhead
I agree very much withnot using theafter market alarm system. I went threw the same thing minus the old panel part problemson my 92 corvette (lot of work). I removed a hole Walmart plastic bag of wires and other junk that was added.Very interesting idea on the repair of the plastic parts I will keep your recipe in mind if I ever need it.
Thanks for Sharing Ironhead.
Ric W