Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

A.I.R./Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 12:01 AM
Default A.I.R./Exhaust Questions

1987 Convertible stock L98. I purchased a Corsa cat-back and plan on eliminating pre-cats and adding a high flow main cat (inspection exempt in my state). My preference is to leave the A.I.R. system in place as it isn't hurting anything but I'm having challenges finding a high flow cat with an air tube. I've already exhaustively searched the forums for info and there are so many options from full A.I.R. delete to pump-gutting to custom plumbing. Need some thoughts/opinions on direction here to pull it all together:
1. Does anyone know of a high flow cat with an air tube? This would give me plug-and-play with no A.I.R. modifications.
2. If I really wanted, could an exhaust shop simply fabricate one onto onto a high flow cat that is manufactured without one?
3. If they don't really make high flow cats with air tubes because modern tech doesn't necessarily need the air injection, what's the next reasonable step? Should I simply plug and secure the unconnected air tube?
4. If so, is it better to "plug/cap" the unconnected air tube or leave it open to simply expel pumped air to the atmosphere?
5. I honestly don't care for the delete kits because (I personally feel) that the aftermarket brackets look out of place in the 80's engine bay. I've restored/painted the original brackets and pump and they look great. I'm not that concerned about the weight savings by removing the equipment. I'm more concerned about trying to understand whether gutting the unit makes any difference if the final tube to the main cat is left unconnected. Theoretically, shaving off the internal fins reduces drag and returns engine power but, if negligible, I would just as well leave it.
6. If the system is essentially disabled through disconnection from the cat, is there any negative effect to leaving the electronics and vacuum lines connected to the valves/solenoids? Or should those be disconnected and re-routed?
I'd be happy to accept links to older conversations that I may not have found if they comprehensively address my questions. Otherwise, many thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions on this.

Old 02-24-2022, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Would it be possible to have a small nipple added to the end of the exhaust pipe ahead of the cat?

Old 04-02-2022, 05:57 PM

I've been considering a pair of true dual exhausts for years, I also would like to remove all that Emissions plumbing. But every time I think about it I decide to keep the car stock. In reading here and other places I think all the emissions stuff can come off and the EGR tube to the exhaust pipe can just be sealed at either end. There seems to be dis agreement about the need to have the computer adjusted if you do this. There are threads on that subject on here but it's been several years since I read them.