Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

injector and service light issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Default injector and service light issue

i wrote awhile ago that my 1985 vette was dumping too much fuel and all 8 of my plugs were wet and fouled black when i changed them, there is a wire set that is connected toward the front passenger side of the maf, the car now only runs when that wire set is disconnected (seems like it operates the opening of the air intake or something) but the minute you plug it in as it was meant to be the car immediately shuts down like its flooding. the engine light is on, i heard that you can jump pin2 to get codes, but where do you jump it to. my harness is under the steering column. any and all input greatly appreciated, i bought o2 and cooling sensors but didn't put them on yet because they may not be the problem............feedback please, thanx

Old 04-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: injector and service light issue

You can jumper the two pins in the upper right hand side of the diagnostic connector. You say "a wire" as in one wire or one connector. Could be coolant sensor, could be the thermo time switch for the cold start injector. If either is messing up, it will certainly flood engine, although coolant sensor wouldn't kill it immediately. Can you hold the throttle up and plug it in to see if will run with the trottle opened? [:-]

Old 04-30-2006, 08:21 PM

it is a blue, white, and black w/stripe wired plug after your response i went and opened the intake, held the throttle some with a screwdriver and plugged this line in she didn't shut off, but when i let go the throttle it shut off immediately. that plug is just to the front passenger side of the intake, right where the throttle is on the inside, but this item is on the outside, i jumped out a/b and got nothing

Old 04-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Unplug your cold start injector, it is between the intake runners on the driver side, then plug the other connector in and see if it idles then.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:01 PM

i disconnected the cold start injector the car kept running but when i plugged in that other connector the can idled high for a moment then immediately shut down

Old 05-01-2006, 04:03 PM

those three wires that you are talking about, i believe that is the throttle position sensor. its the only thing with 3 wires that i can think of. if that is it, maybe it is so out of adjustment that the computer thinks you are opening the throttle and therefore adding fuel to compensate.

is it connected to a black unit on the side of the throttle body (passenger side)?

Old 05-01-2006, 06:46 PM

i believe that is the unit you speak of, and your description makes sense, but how do i adjust this problem, the car starts perfect, idles perfect (although you can sense the smell of gas during idle she still idles well but to rev the gas, sounds like she wants to stall but to press gas gradually revs well. this is with that plug out but to plug it in she shuts right down.........any correction clues

[IMG]local://upfiles/1967/14DBE4405D604A07BE81D174641561D7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-01-2006, 08:00 PM

Yes, that picture is definately the TPS

I'm not saying that this is the cause of your problem, but this is an easy procedure and should be done on a regular basis anyways.

First you need to connect jumper wires from the sensor to the wire harness to each of the corresponding terminals. I took a 12 gauge wire, cut it into 3 pieces, stripping the ends and jumped the connection. then turn the ignition on (dont start the engine) and using a digital voltmeter probe the top 2 wires. make sure you've selected dc volts on the voltmeter. You want .54 volts....and yes, a hundreth of a volt does make a bit of difference in the way the engine repsonds on acceleration. to adjust, slightly losen those two torx screws and turn the sensor until you get the correct reading. also, while still probing the two wires, turn the throttle to WOT...you should get a reading above 4 volts. then close the throttle and slowly open it back up to WOT...you should see a gradual, steady increase in volts. if you dont, then you have a bad TPS. let me know how it goes or if you have any trouble.

Old 05-02-2006, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't worry about adjusting it, if it is plugged in and won't idle, then your TPS voltage is too high. The ECM thinks you at almost wide open throttle. You can probe the middle wire with a DC volt meter and you should be around .5 volts @ idle or key on engine off. Of the three wires, one is 5v reference, one is signal (.5v one) and the other is ground. If you have 2-5 volts on the signal wire then TPS is junk. Replace with a A/C Delco TPS and set to around 1/2 volt. You should be ok then.

Old 05-02-2006, 01:01 PM

checked the wires with a dc meter, middle wire is blue, reading key on .670v/ key off .o1mv bottom wire white reading key on 5.03v key off .03mv items checked while plugged in to tps, I also tested with car running momentarily before shutting down middle blue was 7.30v white bottom was 5.07v

Quick Reply: injector and service light issue