Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

irratic engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Default irratic engine problem

I just purchased my first Corvette (1993 C4 40th Anniversary Ruby Hatchback, 80,000 miles) last Saturday in AL and drove it back to MI. I got about 40 milesafter picking it up and it began sputtering and the engine started cutting out and I would shift down (6 spd) and it would restart. I would pull off the road and let it cool and it would work ok for 20-40 miles. Sometimes it ran better if I were in 5th at about 62mph. I got to Franklin KY for the night and picked up a fuel filter and had it changed the next morning at a Firestone store. The Mechanic had a vet also and checked to see if any codes had been set and none were. Went to the Corvette Museum and got some fuel put in and headed on home. Still continued to have a problem but now was going about 60 miles between the problem and would clear up in about 2 miles of driving without having to come to a complete stop. Put some more fresh fuel in at Indianapolis with problem only 3-4 times 'til I got home. Yesterday I took the car to town and filled up with Shell v-power, Got one block from the station on main street and it died. Tried to start but kept quiting. about ready to push off into a parking space and it started. Let it idle for a few minutes and ran ok. My neighbor is a GM mechanic at a local GM dealer took it out and the problem started up under a hard acceleration. He will look at it next week. Now for the other info... the engine has a Delteq opti system that uses 4 coils in a bank for ignition that takes the place or in conjunction with the old optic-spark system. Thought one of the coils maybe bad as I just picked up my Aurora last night with the coil bank going out on that. The car has a Granotelli (sp) fuel pump put in August, new spark plugs and wires and new Bosch injectors at the same time. It had only been driven 50-60 miles in the last 3 months whch led me to believe that it was bad or old fuel. I do have the "SYS" light flashing with the fuel information. I see it refers to the Central Control Module (CCM) but not sure if that is a related to the problem. The Security light does not blink with it. Any Idea's??? Also a Catalytic converter was replaced in the last 2 weeks. Only other problems is CD won't take a disk and when it did hard to get it to reject. Power antenna had been replaced but will not go completly down. It continued to run as I did not know what it was until I left set for a few days and the battery was dead. pulled a fues for that. And the seat bolsters, lumbar are not working either. Otherwise really sharp car and clean.
Thanks, Scott
Scott Hansen
Charlotte, MI 48813
scott_hansenfamilyfarms@yahoo.com
scott.hansen@mibatt.ang.af.mil

Old 09-28-2008, 11:22 AM
cwb
Default RE: irratic engine problem

Loping idle?

Probably a vacuum leak. 'Search' here for test procedure for vacuum leaks.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:35 PM

sounds like and educated guess but i would say its the dui has mositure in it replace it you'll be miles ahead

Old 09-29-2008, 05:24 PM

PreviousOwner sent me message back on what he had done to car as follows:

Scott, the buzzer you hear inside the car is under the dash. It is a relay for the courtesy lights, cuts off when you shut the door. Chevrolet does not carry the relay anymore and it will not pull down voltage.

The injectors are 22lb injectors; they are the same as the stock 22lb.

The catalytic converters came off a 1993 wrecked vette with 20,000 miles.

The reason I changed out the ignition is because the water pump went out and flooded the old distributor. I putt a new distributor, water pump, and harmonic on at that point at 76,000 miles. To change the system back, all you have to do is pull the coils and bracket, pull the added wiring per the Delteq instructions. At this point you replace the head unit on the passenger side head with a factory coil, and a new set of LT1 plug wires run under the motor, and it will be back stock.

Plugs were putt in at 78,000 miles replaced all plugs except rear one on passenger side.

Car has the stock chip, I putt a Hypertech in didn’t like it and sent it back. No aftermarket chip.

The antenna is new, I would have you neighbor pull it and reinstall it, should fix.

Well I will try hooking the system back upto the stock ignition and see if that solves the problem.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:28 PM

not sure why the one plug was not replaced either. I have about 80,200 miles on it.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:01 PM
cwb

See if you can find out from him if he was on any other vette boards. You might get a more accurate description of its history...

Old 09-30-2008, 12:09 AM

he is retarded if he changed all plugs but 1, wtf, might as well have them all the same amount of time instead of changing 1 at a time.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:07 PM

Once I get this fixed it will becoming winter here in Michigan and will store, is Stabilt in the gas ok to use and a full tank and just start it every couple of weeks?

scott

Old 10-15-2008, 06:35 PM

After being told that there had not been any codes set and the fact I thought it was a OBD2 system I had not bothered yet to check the codes. I found out that OBD2 was for the "J" series engine and not the "P" series. I pluged in my checker and 2 codes came up, even though I have not had a service soon light on. The first one was a code 16 and the second one was a code 42. This car has the Delteq system using Northstar coil module and 4 coils 96-99. So, I don't know if the codeswould still mean a bad module, loose wire, white wire fusible link. Coils all seem to have spark and the little light on the Delteq coil module seems to light up indicating that it is working. So will continue to check the codes out more from the gm shop manual.

scott

Old 10-17-2008, 07:44 AM

ORIGINAL: scotth48

not sure why the one plug was not replaced either. I have about 80,200 miles on it.
I can tell you why he didn't change number 8. That plug is a bitch to change. I did the same thing and when I had it in the shop for service I had the dealer change that plug. I could have got the plug out but could not have got a new plug in. I could see that and didn't change it.

Quick Reply: irratic engine problem