Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

L98 Owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:09 AM
Default RE: L98 Owners

i run 87 with no problems i have tried mid and hig grade with the only difference is in the wallet

Old 10-11-2007, 08:05 AM

ORIGINAL: racerrick

i run 87 with no problems i have tried mid and hig grade with the only difference is in the wallet
I'm glad somebody finally tapped on this subject.

You're exactly right Rick, burning high octane fuel in an engine that doesn't need it,isjust lining the oil companies pocket.

There's a lot of information on the web about octane rating, and everybody should take advantage of it, educateyourself on it. Believe me, the oil companieshave a "don't ask, don't tell" policy, they don't want you, the consumer, to knowthe truth about it. Octane is a flame inhibitor, it doesn't make it more volatile, it only helps prevent detonation.

Here's a little info I pulled from another website, there is lots of info out there on this subject, you just have to look for it.

The type of gasoline to use is one of the most misunderstood areas of vehicle ownership. I am going to offer some ideas that I hope will save you a few bucks on gasoline. The first rule of thumb is that higher octane gasoline is not necessarily better for your vehicle.

WHAT IS OCTANE RATING?
Octane, by definition, is the resistance to burn or detonation. The higher the rating, the slower the burn when ignited during the compression burn cycle of the piston. The higher octane allows for better control of burning for high compression engines. So we want to match the correct octane rating of the gasoline to the engine design to ensure complete burning of the gasoline by the engine for maximum fuel economy and clean emissions.

I THOUGHT GASOLINE WITH HIGHER OCTANE REDUCED ENGINE KNOCK?

It did in older engines using carburetors to regulate air/gas mix They cannot as accurately regulate the air/fuel mix going into the engine as a computerized fuel injector. Carburetors need adjustment, as a part of regular maintenance, to keep the air/fuel mix as accurate as possible. So many times, these adjustments were not made regularly causing too much fuel to be mixed with the air. When this happened the gasoline would not burn completely soaking into carbon deposits. This would cause a premature ignition of the gasoline due to the intense heat in the engine cylinder creating "engine knock." When this happened, people would change to the higher octane/slower burning gasoline to resist the premature burn, thus minimizing the knocking problem. And it worked. Good solution.
However, since the middle to late 80’s, engines are designed to use fuel injectors with computers to accurately control the air/fuel mix under all types of temperature and environment concerns. However the accuracy of the fuel injectors and computers is based on using the recommended gasoline for that engine.
Most cars are designed to burn regular unleaded fuels with an octane rating of 87. If the vehicle needs a higher octane rating of 89-93, there is documentation in the owner’s manual, as well as possibly under the fuel gauge and by the fuel fill hole. Usually you will see this rating for high performance engines only.

WHAT IF I PREFER TO USE GASOLINE WITH HIGHER OCTANE RATINGS?

You can, but there are no real benefits, other than the gasoline manufacturers making more money off of you. When you use a fuel with a higher octane rating than your vehicle requires, you can send this unburned fuel into the emissions system. It can also collect in the catalytic converter. When you over stress any system, it can malfunction or not do what it was designed to do properly. In the early 90's, an early warning symptom was a rotten egg smell from the tailpipe. Easy fix, go back to using regular 87 octane gasoline. The rude odor usually disappears after several tanks of gasoline.

DOESN'T HIGHER OCTANE GASOLINE HAVE MORE CLEANING ADDITIVES THAT ARE GOOD FOR MY ENGINE?

No. Government regulations require that all gasoline contain basically the same amount of additives to clean the injectors and valves. The only differences are the type to help create the different octane ratings. All gasoline burns at the same rate, it is the additives that create the different octane ratings for the different types of engines.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:37 PM

I believe it says around the fuel cap on my '90 to use super premium gas.. ?????

Old 10-11-2007, 10:51 PM

26 highway/ 18 city My new hemi truck only gets 10mpg (pulling the boat)

Old 10-12-2007, 03:18 PM

1,000 mile this trip 90% highway at 75+ (boy does the L98 shine going from 65 up to 90) computer said 23.4 paper calculation was 22.

Around city computer hangs around 18 paper is more like 16.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:16 PM

My 86 maybe 23mpg on average.

C-ya

Old 10-14-2007, 02:21 PM
AXE

11 MPG IN TOWN AND 14 ON HIWAY... I NEED TO BUY A GAS REFINERY!
DONT THINK MY LEAD FOOT MIGHT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT DO YA? LOL

Old 10-14-2007, 02:30 PM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 10-14-2007, 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: AXE

11 MPG IN TOWN AND 14 ON HIWAY... I NEED TO BUY A GAS REFINERY!
DONT THINK MY LEAD FOOT MIGHT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT DO YA? LOL
Maybe just a little.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Snow Wolf

I get 12-15 in the city. I wonder why...I do push it sometimes. As for the fuel getting stuck in the emissions sytem, that seems farfetched. I run 93 in my car. I tried 100 Octane which is also called racing gas, I noticed it smelled alot more like gasoline when idling but thats abotu it. I might go down to 89. It's about 10 cents cheaper. When I replace my injectors, I will only run 93. Already have a new fuel pump. I thought that would make my gas mileage be a little better but it did not help. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get better mileage? I took out the spare tire carrier, tire, and jack.
Do you have an automatic?