Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Leak issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:45 AM
Default Leak issue

I"m sure this is not the first post about the infamous '95 drain leak issue. I have searched for a hile online and haven't been able to find anyone who has a solution.

I have a '95 coupe and a leak issue that leaves water soaked into the passenger side carpeting. It is not the windshield seal or anything along the top of the door glass. When the water rolls off of the windshield into the drain (below the wipers),the water travels from there down through to the, what I call the flappy udder plug, down below. Apparently the plug had frozen up once, backed up and has not been right since. The water finds its way back up a bit, then comes into the fresh air vent on the passenger side and soaks the carpet.

One person suggested cutting the bottom of the plug, claiming he has not had any more problems. I'd prefer not to do that to keep dirt from getting back up inside of the blower motor housing.

Any definite "correct" fixes???

-Scott

Old 02-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Leak issue

I had a similar issue with my 86. My problem was the windshield was changed out and the molding that goes down the side is in 2 pieces. Well, both pieces have to be sealed or water seeps down the pillar post reveal on the inside and gets the carpet wet and it was doing it on both sides. I was just wondering if you have had your windshield replaced recently?

Old 02-26-2007, 11:50 AM

Nope...The windshield isn't the issue. If I pour water into the drain without touching the windshield, the water gets in through the fresh air vent & soaks the carpet. If you happen upon anyone who knows a remedy, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the response anyway.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:44 PM

On my way to work today driving my 92 and the windows were fogging up bad and the defroster wasn’t doing the trick. I would wipe them down with my jacket and it was greasy.

Tonight when I got home same deal. I opened the passenger side door and saw wet carpet and something dripping from under the dash. I put my hand in it and it was clear and a little greasy.

Just down I took a flashlight to it and it is green, the whole floorboard was wet. Right now I have soaked it up and have fans blowing in there.

I assume this is the antifreeze? I traced the lines out and don’t see any leaks in the engine compartment.

What am I dealing with here?

Old 02-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Same thing I just did in mine. The heater core is leaking. Nasty little job. Bout 4 or 5 hours of work and I do it for a living. []

Old 02-27-2007, 11:05 PM

I know this is a stupid question but is this highly critical? I just sold my daily driver and am between cars. If I drive to work and dont use the heater will it be okay for a week or so as long as the fluid level is ok?

Old 02-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

It will still leak unless you bypass your heater core. Just disconnect the heater hoses from the core and loop a peice of hose between the hose coming from the engine. This will do, but your defroster is not going to work very well. [8D]

Old 02-28-2007, 02:11 PM

ORIGINAL: mech259

Same thing I just did in mine. The heater core is leaking. Nasty little job. Bout 4 or 5 hours of work and I do it for a living. []
One of, if not the biggest, pains in the rear associated with these cars.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:30 AM

i have a water leak issue im trying to identify....its a 94 auto....it seems to be the a/c drain or drip pan....after driving for a while with no rain...just the a/c on i get water on the passsenger side floor....it pours out when turning...and if turned left hard enough it spillls over to the drivers side...anyone know where the drain is or how to check if its plugged....?
this is clear clean cold water..
thanks
Jeff

Old 09-28-2007, 10:22 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: SC300TURBO

i have a water leak issue im trying to identify....its a 94 auto....it seems to be the a/c drain or drip pan....after driving for a while with no rain...just the a/c on i get water on the passsenger side floor....it pours out when turning...and if turned left hard enough it spillls over to the drivers side...anyone know where the drain is or how to check if its plugged....?
this is clear clean cold water..
thanks
Jeff
Condensor drain could be plugged with leaf bits and other jam. Sometimes mold will build up also and plug the drain hole.

Quick Reply: Leak issue