Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

LTPWS RPO UJ6 Installation 1996 LT4

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Default LTPWS RPO UJ6 Installation 1996 LT4

I have a 1996 LT4 Convertable that was not ordered with RPO UJ6. I my research the system consists of 4 wheel sensors and a receiver control module. I have located all new GM parts and am capable of the install.
I have a couple of questions:
1) Has anyone done this?
2) Is the wireing harness in the IP already wired for the power connection?
3) My service manual shows the receiver behind the info panel but chevy says it is behind the fenderwell. Any idea on the correct placement?
4) Are there any changes necessary to the ECM or other electronic control?

I know this is the hard/expensive way to do this but I want the monitor and I always keep my Corvette "vanilla" (there is not a non AC or GM part in the car). 16 K miles in 11 years.

Thanks for any help you can offer........

Rob

Old 03-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Default RE: LTPWS RPO UJ6 Installation 1996 LT4

Well, my first and best advice would be DON'T DO IT!!!
However, if you insist, here is what I do know about it.
If the tires & wheels are not stock, you may need to replace them with stock parts to get the signal from the sensor to the receiver.
Some tires will block or otherwise deterirate the signal.
If you hve aftermarket tint on the windows it may have to be removed. Some tints are metalic and will interfere with radio signals.
The receiver needs to be set up with a GM scan tool. In fact, you may not need the new receiver, you may just need to turn this on in the keyless entry receiver, in the bcm and in the IP cluster, I think.
Keep in mind those sensora are probably new/old stock parts that have batteries that are half dead already, life or the sensors is only designed to be 10 years, if the sensors are 5 years old they are at least half gone.
If you gotta have it you gotta have it, but it may be more trouble than you expect.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:38 PM
Default RE: LTPWS RPO UJ6 Installation 1996 LT4

Hi Tracy, All car is stock no aftermarket stuff (tint, wheels etc) on car at all. From what I read....Service manuals etc....the Receiver is seperate and mounted behind the DIC. The new C5 & C6 Corvettes have the receiver integrated into the key locking receiver (smarter idea) but the C4 is a seperate animal. Only tie in is to DLC Pin 6 for diagnostic readouts. The location of the receiver requires taking out the IP front panel. This may be the killer. Getting into that dash is abear.BTW you have togo through the same thing to replace a bulb in the DIC. Also thewheel xmitters are Pizo electric.....no batteries. They depend on the movement of the wheel to generate current for the xmitter. Once again the C5 & C6 are the ones with the battery. My main concern is the IP wireing harness...does it have the power connector for the receiver? I think it does as there is only one part number for the IP harness but there is no substutite for practical experience. I would hate to get the IP open and have ordered the parts just to find no connector....the rewire would be terrible problem.
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. Still need to find someone that has opened the panel and knows that the power/DLC connector is there.