Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Mech or another experienced mechanic/taillight quiestion

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Default Mech or another experienced mechanic/taillight quiestion

I hope someone can answer this quiestion for me. Ok. I was wondering how long it would take a skilled mechanic to change out the 4 back taillights and install these taillights from this link? Not sure what all is involved

2nd quietsion and most important. Would these taillights blow a fuse, cause harm to the wiring system since it is over 20 years old? Any other problems that could arrise from switching to these? Also just a fyi, the headlight switch in the dash where you pull the **** out, the switch back in there WAS replaced 2 years ago because the old one was bad and kept blowing the fuse when I turned on my running lights. I have also UPGRADED my foglights to a higher wattage from a tech tip at another forum. I had to boost up the fuse but others have done it as well and they have not seen ill effects from it and nor have I. I have had the foglights for about a year now. Thanks for any help/opinions!

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...p;dept_id=1384

Naturall, I would replace all four of the taillights.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Mech or another experienced mechanic/taillight quiestion

Changing lense assemblies on a C4 is not the easiest task, you have to remove the fuel tank filler drain boot, 1st, so you can snake your hand with a wrench in it (with a 10mm socket on it, I think) to remove the 2 screws on each of the inner lights, might get a couple of scars . Then the 2 outers, have to lay on your backside, snake your arm up inside to reach the 2 outers. It is a difficult task, to say the least. G/L [8D]

Old 01-06-2008, 12:37 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: mech259

Changing lense assemblies on a C4 is not the easiest task, you have to remove the fuel tank filler drain boot, 1st, so you can snake your hand with a wrench in it (with a 10mm socket on it, I think) to remove the 2 screws on each of the inner lights, might get a couple of scars . Then the 2 outers, have to lay on your backside, snake your arm up inside to reach the 2 outers. It is a difficult task, to say the least. G/L [8D]
Can't ya' get access with the license plate out?

Old 01-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

No, not really. I've done it on mine. I repainted mine and had to take them out to paint it.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:48 PM
CB

I replaced the three halagon bulbs ( no telling how many years burned out) in the light strip of the third brake light on my 86 convertible and they are 10mm nuts in a tight place. put on thin medical gloves and it may stop a few wounds.Those bulbs were nearly seveven bucks a piece. That was the real pain !

Old 01-18-2008, 10:49 PM

about the brake light, if one is burned out, will they all go out?

Old 01-30-2008, 05:02 PM

If one bulb goes out..the others should still work. That's the point of redundant systems.

I'm going thru the same problem now. I just had the fuel boot out to replace the pump. Now I try the turn signals and the right blink doesn't. I know one of the filaments is burned on the inside right bulb. I spent an hour trying to snake my arm thru impossible angles. Even considered cutting away steel to create some room ( I didn't). I'm gonna remove a couple of the 10mm screws that hold the bumper assembly on when I re-gain some patience. Had a few choice words for those GM engineers. I'll get over it.

If the whole rear end is blacked out...I would look at fuses first.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:49 AM

ORIGINAL: NineBall

If one bulb goes out..the others should still work. That's the point of redundant systems.

I'm going thru the same problem now. I just had the fuel boot out to replace the pump. Now I try the turn signals and the right blink doesn't. I know one of the filaments is burned on the inside right bulb. I spent an hour trying to snake my arm thru impossible angles. Even considered cutting away steel to create some room ( I didn't). I'm gonna remove a couple of the 10mm screws that hold the bumper assembly on when I re-gain some patience. Had a few choice words for those GM engineers. I'll get over it.

If the whole rear end is blacked out...I would look at fuses first.
When you retighten the screws for the bumper, dont do them to tight. I heard it will make the bumper wrinkle.