Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

More Horses - C4 & C5 Only

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Default More Horses - C4 & C5 Only

I would like to direct this to " MECH259" who seems to know what he is talking about. I have a document which I received, by request, from Pro-Tech Enterprises, which advises me to do the following to get 100 horses more out of my 1987 L-98, but the engine and peripherals must be in great shape, and mine is. The following is for C4 models only:

(1) Cut a large square out of the air filter housing lid
(2) K & N air filter to replace the stock paper one;
(3) Remove MAF; very carefully cut out both screens on the MAF, avoiding any contact with the wire inside the assembly;
(4) Install an air foil over the plenum in front of the throttle body;
(5) Install Rapid Fire spark plugs by AD/Delco
(6) Install Moroso or Accel spiral core type wires
(7) Install a Stage II prom
(8) Install a 160* thermostat
(9) Install a free-flowing exhaust system without the cat(if you can get away with it), or a subst

I have done all of the above on my former "stock" 87 Vette, and, believe you me, they said I would gain 100 horses, and undoubtedly, it sure feels like it. My Vette moooves. I didn't keep track of the costs, but it is minimal.
I look to your opinion on this, MECH259.

Mypetu39

Old 07-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Default RE: More Horses - C4 & C5 Only

Just curious.. how much for that Stage 2 PROM and where did you locate that?

Old 07-27-2006, 05:20 PM

Hmm, i might be trying some of this pretty soon. I am not sure if 100HP is believable, but I will definately check into it because that all sounds simple enough. I would be happy if that stuff would give me 25HP lol

Old 07-27-2006, 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: 94blackC4

Hmm, i might be trying some of this pretty soon. I am not sure if 100HP is believable, but I will definately check into it because that all sounds simple enough. I would be happy if that stuff would give me 25HP lol
That's exactly what I was thinkin'!! I really don't want to butcher up the car at all installin' stuff, but all these mods are just straight-ahead things that can be undone really really easily. Jeez, even 10hp would be an improvement....

Old 07-27-2006, 07:04 PM

hi what would cutting the screen out of the maf do for it i mean do those screens really stop that much air flow . after you did these mods did your check engin light come on for any reason

Old 07-27-2006, 07:07 PM

i dont understand what the 160 thermastate does for it how would that help i need to replace mine anyhow its gettinmg stuck closed i dont even no what it has in it yet

Old 07-27-2006, 07:17 PM

Well, i would assume at higher RPM's that the airflow to your motor would definately increase GreenSkin, vicariously increasing the amount of blockage those tiny wires on the screens produce. And the thermostat (if applied right because the thermostat wont do anything unless your computer is programmed for the thermostat to open at that temperature also) keeps your engine cooler and in most cases, cooler means more power.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: 94blackC4

Well, i would assume at higher RPM's that the airflow to your motor would definately increase GreenSkin, vicariously increasing the amount of blockage those tiny wires on the screens produce. And the thermostat (if applied right because the thermostat wont do anything unless your computer is programmed for the thermostat to open at that temperature also) keeps your engine cooler and in most cases, cooler means more power.
I was asking about operating temps in another thread, and someone responded with:

ORIGINAL: Tacky

160 is on the cold side & will promote cylinder wall wear.
I would run a 180 or 195 degree thermostat.
If the engine is modified & it is hard to get good enough fuel I would go with the 180, but if the engien is pretty stock & spark knock is not a problem I would use a 195.
The hotter it runs (up to a point) the more efficient it is and the less cylinder wear.
Cooler temperatures help prevent spark knock, but cost you fuel mileage engine life.
I completely believe this to be true.. I knew there were issues with running too cold, thus the question I posed. It does seem to be better, up to a point, where increased cylinder wall wear would outweigh the benefits of an extra hp or two from the lower temps.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:26 PM

I do believe that to be true, but I heard there was about 10 degrees of play in whatever thermostat you buy. I personally have a 180 in my car. If i wanted my car to run cooler, i would buy a new radiator front those "Extreme Radiator" guys.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:39 PM

With the 160 t stat installed what does your gauge read ?, I once did this to a modified jeep ( small rad big engine ) 160 stat installed the temp ran at 180 190 which was just what I wanted .

I think I might try some of these mods myself , more power never hurts.
thanks for the info

Quick Reply: More Horses - C4 & C5 Only