Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

More problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Default RE: More problems

Thanks Mech, I feel like both problems are related, they both started at the exact same time.

Hey cwb, that's exactly what it felt like.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:10 PM
cwb

[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 10-15-2007, 09:40 PM
cwb
Old 10-16-2007, 10:37 AM

Could be a broken wire, check your ground to TPS plugged in by backprobe while plugged in on the voltage scale to chassis ground with key on. Absolutely no more than .1 volt on ground side.
From the tps ground to chassis ground I have 0.03 volts. You do mean 0.1 volt,and not 0.01 right?

I've got the connection at the tps tightened up, I spread the pins a littleon the male connector sothey fit a little more snug inside the female pinson the tps. Sad to say, it still has the same problem. I disconnected the battery and cleared the codes.

The "check engine" light comes on as soon as I crank it, and stays on, code 33, MAF sensor.

Anybodyknowthe procedure to check the MAF?

I'm going to pull the ECM now and check the connections.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:37 AM

I checked the voltage at the MAF and here's what I got.

Using the black wire as ground. Ignition on, engine off.

Pink 0.50 V
Blue 0.18 V
Green 4.51 V
Black ground to chassis ground is 0.03 V, the same as on the tps.

When using the chassis as a ground, the values on the pink, blue, and green wires are 0.03 v higher than using the black ground wire on the MAF.

Voltages on the tps...

Gray is 4.86v, this voltage doesn't change any between idle position, and WOT
Blue is 0.57v at idle position, and 4.48v at WOT
Black wire to chassis ground is 0.03v
When using the chassis as a ground, the values on the gray and blue wires are 0.03 v higher than using the black ground wire on the TPS.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:24 PM
cwb

This thing saysthis MAF test can be done, ONLY if you got no OTHER codes...

Old 10-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: rshiver

I checked the voltage at the MAF and here's what I got.

Using the black wire as ground. Ignition on, engine off.

Pink 0.50 V
Blue 0.18 V
Green 4.51 V
Black ground to chassis ground is 0.03 V, the same as on the tps.
Dark green wire is MAF signal. Is that voltage @ idle? I think the pink which is actually the purple wire, just faded, is the voltage supply (12v) and it comes from burn off module and the blue is the burn off signal. You have found your problem. Check the burn off module orange wire @ pin A for 12v via fusible link from battery. Also, check your gauge fuse too. 85's used a burn-off module and in 86 went to a relay, probably because of high failure rate since it is solid state.

When using the chassis as a ground, the values on the pink, blue, and green wires are 0.03 v higher than using the black ground wire on the MAF.

Voltages on the tps...

Gray is 4.86v, this voltage doesn't change any between idle position, and WOT
Blue is 0.57v at idle position, and 4.48v at WOT
Black wire to chassis ground is 0.03v
When using the chassis as a ground, the values on the gray and blue wires are 0.03 v higher than using the black ground wire on the TPS.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:35 PM

Dark green wire is MAF signal. Is that voltage @ idle?
Hi Mech...no, all voltage measurements were taken with ignition on, engine off.

I think the pink which is actually the purple wire, just faded, is the voltage supply (12v) and it comes from burn off module and the blue is the burn off signal.
Soit should have 12v and not .50v ?

Check the burn off module orange wire @ pin A for 12v via fusible link from battery.
When you say "burn off module" do you mean the module behind the passengers side dash panel?Thats where I hear, what sounds like a relay click, about 5 secondsafter the engine is shut off.

Also, check your gauge fuse too.
Guage fuse??

Old 10-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

All measurements need to be @ idle. Yes it is supposed to be 12v. Yes the Gauge fuse in your fuse panel, both the fuse and fusible link supply power to module. Not sure where module is, but on my 86 the relay is next to the brake booster.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the info Mech, you've been a great help.

The guages fuse was blown. Replaced the fuse and it runs fine now, but I know something had to cause it to blow. Even though the fuse was blown, I could still hear the burn off module click after the engine was shut down. I've done some research on the 85 burn off module, and I'm hoping I don't need to buy one, they run around 5-6 hundred bucks when one can be found, and it is located behind the passengers side dash panel.

Considering the burn off module supplies power to the MAF, it's possible that the MAF caused the fuse to blow?, orthewire supplying the powerto the MAF shorting to groundsomewhere. What do you think?

I know this is probably just wishful thinking, but I'm wondering if the 85 "burn off module" system, could be upgraded to the "burn off relay" system.

Edited to add....

The overdrive is locking up like it's suppose to now too. Obviouslythe "guages" fusehas something to do with it also. It's odd to me that the guages fuse has nothing to do with the guages on the dash cluster, go figure.

Now, for this "piece of junk" TPS. I've bought two from auto zone in the past three months, they were both made by "Wells". I can wiggle the connection on both of them and the idle gets erratic, it even killed the engine a couple of times. I put the original one that was on it when I bought the car, and it's solid as a rock, I can wiggle it all I want and it doesn't effect the idle at all.

Now if I can figure out whatcausedthat dang fuse to blow, I'd be one happy puppy.

Quick Reply: More problems