Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

My 88

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Default My 88

I read this forum quite abit but almost never post, so here goes. My 88 has low miles but it squeaks a little, some things in the construction look as if it could have been done just a tad better. I always have a rough ride after it has sat for long periods from flat spots. I get some wind noise on the passinger side. The digital dash can be a bear to see in bright sun. The top is a pain to remove and install with those 4bolts and the ratchet. I had to rebuild the headlight motors ( thanks to this forum I did it myself in apx 4 hours). I'm paying insurance on a car I only drive in the summer and then only if it's not raining. Bottom line after it's sat for 5 months in the garage and today I took it out for an hour or so.....................I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: My 88

A true laborer of love.[sm=drlove.gif]Welcome to the club!!

Old 03-10-2007, 12:29 AM

Welcome! You have a C4,my friend,which,as much as we love them('96 LT-1),they have,um,well,some little things that may aggravate at first,but you'll learn to understand and appreciate as being the nature of the beast.My car has a few cosmetic details I will fix in time,but it runs like a champ and is METICULOUSLY maintained(almost 110,000 trouble-free miles),and if I don't drive it every day,well,I get a kind of withdrawal symptom;or something.The point is,as long as your C4 is properly taken care of,enjoy and work the rest out in time.It doesn't matter if it's not perfect,if the display goes blank in sunlight,squeaks or rattles,it's part of the C4's charm.Do you love it??? YES!!! I love mine too,no matter what!! It's my Vette for me to enjoy! Your Vette is for you!!! Enjoy it!!! Your friend,Joe.LONG LIVE THE C4!!!! If it wasn't for it,we would not have a C5,much less the C6!!!!

Old 03-10-2007, 09:02 AM

I had the same problem with all the "squeaks" in my 87 Vette Conv't when I bought it in '92. Up here in Ontario, Canada, we drive our Vettes from May until about September of each year, on the average. In '94, because of all the "sqeaking", I decided to have the local Wal-Mart Auto shop very carefully while I watched,spray the underside of the car, inside the door frames, and inside the hood with the Winter undercoating that is done up here for $ 59 Cdn. Ever since that, my Vette is absolutely squeak-free. Try it. Also tighten up every screw that you can see on the Vette, especially if it is a convertible; it'll amaze you how the squeaks will disappear; I hate rattles and squeaks, but I do love my Vette.

mypetu39

Old 03-10-2007, 11:34 AM

www.ecklers.com They have a interior screw kit. I believe its around 150 pieces. Replace every screw with this kit and it will help alot. I think its about 35-40 dollars. Seems like its worthwhile. I am hoping to eliminate alot of interior noise as well.