Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Suspension mods for Dragracing

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Default Suspension mods for Dragracing

I want to bracket race my 84 Vette, what can be done to help traction other than drag slicks, also, does anyone know of any websites pretaining to dragracing c4's? I recently installed vortec heads, a small camshaft, performer intake and holley carb, so far I really like it, pulls really hard compared to stock. I'm still running the stock exhaust though, kind of did it backwards. Engine is now about the same as the 330 horse cratemotor. Engine removal was pretty cool,did noteven have to remove the hood.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Default RE: Suspension mods for Dragracing

More horsepower=less traction. Loose the ponies...gain traction....Nitto slicks are good. Is your car a auto or manual? If its an auto did you upgrade to the dana 44? The d36 wont take drag slicks from what I am told.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:48 PM

Mine is an automatic, The Standard shift has a stronger rear? If so, what is involved in upgrading? It's not making that much horsepower but if you don't feather the throttle you will never hook, it will spin for as long as you hold it, it might hook on a sticky track.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:20 PM

Well, first of all, remember that in true bracket racing you run against a ET time target and consistency is the key: can you make the car's times repeatable with no variance? that is as important as the very best times possible. I think I would go with drag radials -- maybe let a little air out when you get to the track for better traction. Other than that, just learn to launch smoothly and consistently and shift smoothly at an RPM that works for you: all this is like developing a gold swing -- just practice until its automatic reflexes to do it right

Old 03-10-2007, 02:51 PM

Dana 44. Even a Dana 36with upgraded gears will die with the slicks. You need a higher stall torque converter with the new rearend though. It will get more torque to the ground. Probably a 2500 stall....If you were autocrossing it would be a completly different story on set up but I dont know too much about dragging. If your transmission is original, I highly reccomend a rebuild before doing any serious racing. Also, is your motor in good condition. Practice, Practice, Practice on take off! Dont let the tires spin. Also, if you run slicks do a burnout before you take off to clean them and help them stick better.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:22 AM

My Lingenfelter had been set up as a drag car when I bought it with drag shocks front and rear for weight transfer,700r Raptor transmission with high stall .Shocks are very important=watch how the pro's cars behave.Drop your rears to about 15psi.Expect to break things.If you get a good hook at high rev's it puts a hell of a strain on the drive train.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:40 PM

Thats why I would not run slicks. I wouldnt drag on a regular basis anyway. Its not good for the car. Dragging cars are stripped down to the bare bones and rebuilt. Our cars are not unless you got bookoos of money. Autocrossing isnt as tough on it. If you insist on dragging, be careful and like mentioned expect to break things and have alot of $$ to repair them.