Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Question need help

am new to the vette world always wanted one found 1 for cheap because of the guages werent working properly. the fuse labled guages blows instantly when key is turned but the guages work kind of i need to know what exactly the guages fuse runs and the radio was re done and the stock amp was removed and crazy wiring would that be related to it thought it would run off radio fuse. any help would be much appreciated thanks. also it is a 90 coupe

Old 12-09-2010, 08:33 PM

I probably sound like an old grouch,maybe I am? It is virtually impossible to troubleshoot homemade electrical problems from a distance over the web. So I recommend you get the shop manual that applies to your model. They are available from any corvette shop as Eckler's, Corvette Central,Midamerica etc. The manual will cost you less than an hour's labor at the cheapest shop in town and if you have minimal skills,should help you solve this problem and many more!
Good Luck!
Ron

Old 12-09-2010, 08:52 PM

i know, havent been able to talk my wife into letting me spending over a hundred bucks for a book. was hoping someone would point me in the right direction. Think im just going to pull the whole dash out pretty boring here in ok nothing better to do

Old 12-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

When the "guage" fuse is blown or you just take it out, is there anything that doesn't work?

Old 12-10-2010, 06:03 PM

it is always blown but the guages kind of work they get power but dont read right no problem with the lcd speedo or gas guage. i took all the underside of passengers dash out cleaned up some grounds found the crazy wiring for the stock amp. going to dig more tomorrow. work full time so only have weekends to mess with it. the car runs fine drive it all the time.

Last edited by insanegenius2306; 12-10-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Most Chevys, the gauge fuse is also used for cigarette lighter, power on the diagnostic connector for scan tool. See if cig. light has power.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:46 PM

The gages fuse name is pretty misleading. It is does not really power the gages like it sounds like it would. The gage fuse actually controls about 18 different things using pink/black wires for the control/sensing circuits, i.e. it typically controls relays or goes to a sensor. If it has a short in its circuit so that it blows, all kinds of strange things can happen such as the alternator not charging adequately, heat/AC not working right, lights, etc. It should be a 15 amp fuse so you might check that first just to make sure it is the right size.

I had a problem with my '88 Vette that took almost three weeks off and on to figure out becuase the pink/black wires go EVERYWHERE -- ended up being the ABS Brake Relay which is under the compartment behind the driver and is on the front right corner. You might want to unplug this and see if the fuse still blows when you switch on.

BTW, you will find that you cannot figure out much of anything without the FSM - while the basic car stuff is pretty typical, most of the car is CORVETTE which means that they built it different just to set it apart and to reinforce the image. A good alternative to the FSM books is to go on fleabay and get the FSM on CD. Lots cheaper and you can print only the pages you need. Also, I travel a lot and have the manual on my laptop - that way I have it when I need it and lots lighter than two BIG books. If you do this, be sure that you get one that has the files as pdf's, and not one that uses specialty software.

Hope this helps! Enjoy the ride.