Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

newbe here with questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Default RE: newbe here with questions

Just want to say thanks you guys have been a big help so far. But i still have questions so please bare with me. I noticed that the fan dosent stay running after the car is shut off. It kicked on just as i was pulling back into the garage and didnt stay running after the car was shut off. Im not sure if they both are working or not. were are the relays located at for the fans? Are they on the drivers side down on the side of the fan shrould ?

Old 07-15-2007, 02:34 PM

Unlike some cars, I don't believe these run when the ignition power's off. At least I've never noticed mine doing so. And yes, you should have three relays on the left side of your shroud. Two are the same color, these are the fan relays.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:00 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: Notorious

ORIGINAL: cwb

How many miles on your box when it used to run this hot there, notorious? Did you buy it new? Was the tune good then? Did you do other tune stuff that also might have brought the operating temps down?
Are you talking about my previous oil temps? 260 is not at all unusual in an LT1 during sustained, all out use. I've seen guys report up to 300 on the track. I wouldn't do it, I wasn't crazy about hitting 260 or so during all out runs of 10 minutes or so, basically either full throttle or full on the brakes at all times. Although synthetic oil can handle these temps, there's no reason to do it IMO. Oil coolers are not expensive or difficult to add. At the time in question, my engine was still pretty close to stock, only making about 350 HP with a cam upgrade, 1.6 RRs and higher compression pistons being about it. And aside from the EWP, the cooling system was still pretty much unmodified too. Proper PCM tuning has always been maintained for every given mod level. Thankfully I've been able to afford to build this car for probably even more durability than I'll likely ever require. But that's okay because I like overkill. All aspects of the oiling system have been massaged, a 7 qt. road racing pan, the aforementioned watercooled oil cooler, all forged and lightweight bottom end components, ARP internal and head bolts, an ATI Super Damper, true double roller timing set, (which you can add to the LTx engines if you get rid of the mechanically driven water pump) top shelf and reasonably light valve train components and so on. This engine could easily live with frequent bursts of 7000 RPM or more. But with the cam I'm using it makes maximum HP at just under 6000. It's not the baddest NA LTx engine by far, I didn't build it to be. I did build it to make good, reliable and very streetable power and to be very efficient while doing so. I drive it daily and have lots of fun with it. I race it some but nothing too serious. Again, just for fun. I hope it will outlive me and at my age, it just might. And keeping everything cool will go a long way towards insuring that. Apologies to the OP for the direction this thread has taken. But hopefully I've steered it back close to the original subject, cooling these cars and it's importance for a reliable and long life. They just run a little too damned hot as they come from the factory. This was done to maximize good emission levels of course. But for the serious enthusiast, and especially for anyone who plans to fully enjoy the cars potential once in awhile, it's not hard to make little changes that will make a big difference.
Ohmigosh. I can finish Dostoyevsky before I find a tip in there, notorious!!! Thanks tho'...

How/where did you tap into your oil system for routing into the radiator's oil coolant reservoir? By chance, with an oil filter mount?

And when I was wonderin' about previous oil temps, I didn't mean for 'sustained all out' drivin'; just summertime in-traffic, A/C on,drivin'...

Old 07-16-2007, 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: cwb

Ohmigosh. I can finish Dostoyevsky before I find a tip in there, notorious!!! Thanks tho'...

How/where did you tap into your oil system for routing into the radiator's oil coolant reservoir? By chance, with an oil filter mount?

And when I was wonderin' about previous oil temps, I didn't mean for 'sustained all out' drivin'; just summertime in-traffic, A/C on,drivin'...
Yes, simply replacing the oil filter adapter with one that has provisions for the out and return hoses. Readily available in the aftermarket and not too expensive. They'll work both with a remote air or water cooled cooler. I chose to use a water cooled oil cooler built into my racing radiator and went to a strictly air cooled unit for the automatic transmission. Made up a couple of #10 Aeroquip hoses to and from the radiator and it was done. The DeWitts radiator is a very nice and almost drop-in replacement on the C4. They're available with or without a transmission cooler or with an engine oil cooler. You can't get both an engine and tranny cooler though, gotta choose.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:02 PM

I have not noticed my low temp fan coming on . Where could i find the relay that works that fan? I figure i'll just replace it for all the more they cost. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:41 PM

You'll find three relays on the left side of your fan shroud. Two of them look identical, these are the fan relays, one per fan. If you don't have a factory manual to check out the wiring to them, try swapping them first. If this makes no difference, don't waste money on a new one. You'll have to troubleshoot from there.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:09 PM

Thanks, I'll try that as soon as i get home from work tomorrow. Where would be a good place to get one of these factory manuals?

Old 07-16-2007, 09:17 PM

Keep an eye on eBay and on any forums dedicated to Corvettes. Generally the two book set can be had for $50-75 used. They're still available new too for a hundred plus. They're a necessity IMO for anyone who plans to do much work on their car themselves. They can easily pay for themselves in one repair. Make sure they're the red cover manuals published by Helms. These are the full and authorized factory GM manuals.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:33 PM

Thanks agian,Dont know what id do without your help. I do plan to do as much work myself as possible. I have done 2 frame off restorations of 70 Buick GS's but there alot less complacated than the Vette's are.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:22 PM

Got 2 more questions.
1 . What are the temp. at witch the electric fans kick on?
2. Where is the switch the activates the fans?
I saw Summit has one that replaces the GM and starts the fan at 195 and shuts it off at 185.

Quick Reply: newbe here with questions