Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Newbie In The Vette World Looking For Performance Tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Default Newbie In The Vette World Looking For Performance Tips

Hey there all,

First I want to apologize for how vague I'm probably going to be. My knowledge on cars is pretty much little to none.

I'm picking up my first, but hopefully not last, Vette tomorrow on my 27th B-day. It's a 1984 which, since I've been reading on here for the last week or so, seems have some strong supporters and some who aren't so fond of the year.

Now I've always been a fan of speed, but I hate upgrading something to find out I should of upgraded something else first. So my question is this:

If I'm looking to pump some extra horsepower into this car what would be some mods I should look into and in what order ?

I mean I've heard everything from change the engine, change the Crossfire injection to a carburetor, I've read get new heads, cams, gears, get a turbo/supercharger, new exhaust system. All would be great I'm sure but I do enjoy having food to eat on a daily basis and a place to live so unfortunately don't have the money to go performance crazy all at once.

Just as a gauge I checked out http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...84/84perf.html,I'm not sure if that's reliable or not, but if so a stock 84 would run 0-60mph in 6.96-7.1 and a 1/4 mile in the mid 15's. I'm not looking to have a 9-10 second car or anything but shaving offabout 2-3seconds and landing mid 12's to low 13's would be nice (now I hope my minimal knowledge of cars didn't make me sound like a fool with completely unrealistic goals there).

I'm not really worried about the cost as I'll be doing this over the course of a couple years or so. I'm more concerned with what parts I should be looking at and what order.

Thanks in advance to everyone forhelping this newbie Vette owner out

Old 05-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Default RE: Newbie In The Vette World Looking For Performance Tips

Your going to have a tough time getting a crossfire injected car in to the mid 12's. Its just a set up thats not ideal for a lot of horsepower. I don't know much about the crossfires but I am sure there are some people around here that might can help, if not try here: http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/ its a forum dedicated to the crossfire engine.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:09 PM

Lee=boring....Drop a 454 in there beef up the tranny and rearend....blah blah blah on all hte electronic stuff....Raw horsepower=$$$.....Agree though crossfire is not the best engine but its still a vette who cares

Old 05-01-2007, 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Black86vette

Lee=boring....Drop a 454 in there beef up the tranny and rearend....blah blah blah on all hte electronic stuff....Raw horsepower=$$$.....Agree though crossfire is not the best engine but its still a vette who cares
I cant spice up everyday for you with my witty posts.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:39 PM

You said you have an 84, I remember when the C4 first came out in 84, Car & Driver was saying 147 mph top end and Brock Yates called it the "most advanced production car on the planet". But that was 23 years ago. I would assume your car has a fair amount of miles on it. Not to discourage you, but I think I would leave it alone and just drive it instead of pouring money into it and risk having a bunch of motor-drivetrain parts scattered all over the road. And at 205 hp new, with a limited budget, you aren't going to get much, anyhow. Just my opinion.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:41 PM

And by the way, Corvette Action Center is a good site.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:23 PM

ORIGINAL: LeesVette

ORIGINAL: Black86vette

I cant spice up everyday for you with my witty posts.
[sm=icon_rofl.gif]Trust me, that flipping the middle finger to people poststill puts a smile on my face.....and I waas just picking about the you being boring part.I like to joke!

Old 05-02-2007, 08:50 AM

Vette 84, go to a thread I started on Aug 24, 2006, titled, " More Horsepower, C4 & C5 Only". Over 2,000 members read this thread and a great many made the changes suggested in this thread and gained lots of horses with a bare minimum of money involved. Read the thread first and then see if it is worthwhile.

mypetu39