Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

No gauge cluster lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Default No gauge cluster lights

I have a 1987 C4. It has no gauge cluster lights at all.Fuse is good,and so is the bulbs.Dose any one have any idea's? If its the ground ,where do I find it?

Old 12-24-2009, 02:11 PM

I also have an 87. The headlight switch controls the lights on the dash, just like the older cars, turn counterclockwise and the lights get brighter, turn it till you feel it click and it turns on the interior lights. If it doesn't, the switch is probably faulty,or it could be the photocell in the upper left corner of the dash, the little window, try covering it with your hand, and then uncovering it to see if it makes a difference. If it is not either of these, the dash may have to be taken apart and the connectors between the two boards cleaned and maybe resoldered. Check out www.batee.com, for instructions on doing this. That is how I repaired mine, also I had to put new polarized film on the front of the lcds to be able to read the gauges. I could see it light up, but couldn't read the gauges. Hope this helps.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:07 AM
Default No gauge cluster lights

Ive search for threads about this, but couldnt find any.At night when i get in my car and turn it on the lights. The gauge cluster lights do not come on. after driving the car for 5 or so minutes the gauge cluster lights come on. and sometimes the cluster lights go back of and after a few minutes they come back on. How can i fix this? do i have a wiring problem?thanks

Old 01-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Talking Gauge Cluster Lights

Sounds as if you may have a ground problem in the dash. If you go to www.batee.com, and click on projects, then scroll down to corvette electronics, you will find instructions and pictures to disassemble, repair, and reassemble the dash. This is what I used to repair mine, plus, as I described in my other reply, I had to put new polarized film on the front of the lcds, mine were so faded I couldn't read the gauges, the lights and gauges were working, I just couldn't see the gauges because the worn out film was letting so much light into the dash. If you print out the instructions in color, and read them over good before starting, then keep them by the dash while working on it, it is a lot easier and simpler than you think it is. If you don't feel comfortable doing the resolder of the connections, I am sure you have a friend who does. Hope this helps. It took a lot of research and a lot of time gathering all this info, because I didn't know it was out there until I did a lot of searching on the net. I hope I can save you a lot of time and money with this info. Also, as I said before, the headlight switch plays a big part in this dash. When the dash lights go out try pulling on the lights and moving the switch rod around and turning it to the left and right, I stumbled on this accidentally, as I was working on mine. I still need to replace the headlight switch.

Last edited by Catman87; 01-01-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:09 PM

Catman87 hit it right on the head. My cluster was doing the same thing and it ended up being a bad ground. Sometimes when it went out I would give the dash above a quick thumb and it would bring them back on... not a recommended long term solution. So I ended up going to www.batee.com to hunt down the bad ground.