Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Warning lights don't work...1980 Corvette..Dash and center cluster

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Default Warning lights don't work...1980 Corvette..Dash and center cluster

I have a 1980 Corvette. None of the warning lights on the dash or center cluster work. Will replacing the printed curcuit boards make the warning lights work again? or are there other issues I should be looking into?

Old 12-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned
Default RE: Warning lights don't work...1980 Corvette..Dash and center cluster

Part of the problem could be the circuit board, or you could do like I did and plug in a connector I found that was unplugged in my center console, that caused a battery drain (there was a short) and I had to pay my mechanic to unplug the connector I had plugged in. I couldn't figure out what was wrong!

I guess what I am trying to say is that these cars are 25+ years old and there could be any number of things wrong, as simple as a burned out indicator lamp (highly likely) or as complex as a faulty circuit.

I would start by pulling the center cluster, removing all of the bulbs, they twist out - and installing all new bulbs. You will be able to see if your printed circuit is in good shape or not at that time. Replacement printed circuits are available most reasonably from Wilcox if you need them. After that you start getting into deeper water as far as troubleshooting goes and will probably need a schematic and a meter to figure it out.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Corvette Forum. While you have the circuit board out, examine it closely for cracked solder joints especially in areas w/ large components or high heat areas. The auto environment is a lot tougher on electronics than most folks recognize.

Let us know how you make out w/ your problem.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:50 PM

ORIGINAL: DeeVeeEight

Part of the problem could be the circuit board, or you could do like I did and plug in a connector I found that was unplugged in my center console, that caused a battery drain (there was a short) and I had to pay my mechanic to unplug the connector I had plugged in. I couldn't figure out what was wrong!

I guess what I am trying to say is that these cars are 25+ years old and there could be any number of things wrong, as simple as a burned out indicator lamp (highly likely) or as complex as a faulty circuit.

I would start by pulling the center cluster, removing all of the bulbs, they twist out - and installing all new bulbs. You will be able to see if your printed circuit is in good shape or not at that time. Replacement printed circuits are available most reasonably from Wilcox if you need them. After that you start getting into deeper water as far as troubleshooting goes and will probably need a schematic and a meter to figure it out.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
I also have a battery drain. If left sitting, the battery will be dead in about 2 days.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Put an ammeter in the battery circuit and w/ everything off (including interior lites), start pulling fuses one at a time to try to isolate which circuit is contributing to the current drain.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:15 PM
pg

Did you check the 'INST' fuse to see if you have power going to the dash lights?
Also did you try turning the headlight ****?
PG

Old 12-05-2008, 09:44 PM

ORIGINAL: pg

Did you check the 'INST' fuse to see if you have power going to the dash lights?
PG
I have dash lights and backlights on all the gauges. It's the warning lights, (battery light, low fuel light, seatbelt light, etc...) that do not work.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: pj_80shark

ORIGINAL: pg

PG
I have dash lights and backlights on all the gauges. It's the warning lights, (battery light, low fuel light, seatbelt light, etc...) that do not work.
I'd still check the bulbs first, then go deeper. Do you have an electrical schematic for your car?