Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

noisy 94

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Default noisy 94

I have been noticing a funny metallic rubbing noise sounds like a brake pad dragging or a bad hub assembly. This sound disappears under throttle then reappears when u lift throttle. Makes noise out of gear coasting as well. Could it be a uv joint? the car has 188000 miles and none of these have ever been replaced. have recently replaced all brakes upgraded front to ZR-1 front brakes and replaced the master cylinder and booster. By the way where is the proportioning valve located on the c 4 chassis? Am thinking bout changing the rear hub assemblies 1st but they are kinda expensive the uv joints are cheaper but more involved to access. any suggestions? am new to forums and a bit computer illiterate. Am a decent shadetree mechanic.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:14 PM

Generally u-joints create clunks when changing direction,and if they are bad enough to cause something to rub,the clunking would be horrible! I'm thinkin' it's probably one of the spindles,jack the car up,grab the wheel and try to wiggle it. Basically if it moves at all the spindle bearings are shot. I had to replace all four on my 84,it has about 165k on it.
Good Luck!
Ron

Old 09-18-2011, 01:05 AM

Hard to say without hearing it.. what trans are you running? Are you sure it isn't a bad pinion bearing?

Old 10-03-2011, 03:40 PM

4L60E Automatic with shift improver kit. tranny rebuilt at 140k. Not really sure but no slack in rear end and no leaks at pinion seal. Pos unit still works very well and has been serviced regularly. only reason tranny was built was a leaking front seal and I just wanted the shift kit. Tried jacking up the car and wiggling wheels they dont budge that I can tell. I am a 6ft 1 250lb guy and do bench 300plus so I should be able to bet some movement from a bad hub assembly right? Thanks for the suggestions. That noise is really annoying and am concerned for safety as well. Will let everyone know when I discover the cause.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:43 PM

Thanks Tried to move them couldn't feel any movement. Might just replace them anyway can get both rear for $140.00. Just don't like part swapping unless I sure. Gets expensive fast!

Old 10-03-2011, 03:46 PM

Have a friend who might be interested in the 84. could i get an asking price? Is this correct place to ask that. 2nd time I've been on a forum. Thanks for the advice.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:55 PM

5K for the 84. Maybe you could jack up both rears and put it in gear,that would possibly isolate the noise to one end. You might have got a rock stuck in a caliper,I had that happen once and it sounded like the whole corner of the car was falling off! It was hitting on the vanes in the disk.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:45 AM

My bud said that could be what he looking for, I did fail to notice you are in battle Mtn NV. We are in Chattanooga TN. Think he is going to keep his search within 200 miles of home. If by some chance You still have the 84 in the spring we are planning a motorcycle ride through as many states as possible and he does have a wild hare to go to Vegas. I just hope the trip doesn't turn out like a scene from the wild hogs movie with Tim Allen. Lol

Old 10-17-2011, 11:35 PM

He may find a closer one,may even find a cheaper one,but it will be difficult to find a better one! When you get to Vegas,you're still along way from BM! We're plumb on the other end of the state!
Did you find your noise?
Ron

Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 PM

Think it is the hub assembly as the brakes look ok and it all broke down and went back together easy no rocks up in anything nothing rubbing. It just that the hub feels tight so i reluctant to replace the bearing assembly checked both sides by tearing them down to the bear hubs and looking at it noise still there so bearing is only thing I can think of that would make such a racket has begun to get a funny shudder after you drive it a while on corners at speed 50 plus. My fathers 2001 monte carlo does this as well but you feel it more in the steering I know it has some bad subframe bushings they are flattened out and cracked. what components that are on the vette that are similar look in good shape and it doesnt have the faint clunk like the monte. well I intend to replace the right side hub assembly on the rear 1ST and go from there. wish me luck!

Quick Reply: noisy 94