Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Observations at the one month mark

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Default RE: Observations at the one month mark

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

My guitar playin' bud had a Vega fastback with a 427, dual quad high rise tunnel ram.
We roared up one onramp and down the next. He hung a for sale sign on it and never drove it again. TOTALLY INSANE BEAST!!!He'd sit in his driveway and rev the engine and get the car rockin' on the suspension and the car would almost roll over from the torque. (and it was street legal)
CHEVY, THE ONLY WAY TO FLY!!!
Dude, that was such a great post, I can actually SMELL that beast runnin' from here!!! Why the HELL would he sell that?? A couple years ago, when I was "jonesin' for a rod" I started pokin' around. First thing that came to mind was a well done V8 Vega. You know, not a rat bagged piece of junk, but one that was nicely done and relatively complete.

WELL!!!

You'd think I was lookin' fer a set of chicken's teeth! They don't exist anymore! Or if they do, the dude ain't sellin' her! The Corvette is, and always will be, my favorite car hands down in the entire world, but a nice V8 Vega would probably run in second place on that list. [8D]

Old 08-18-2006, 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

If you really don't intend to repair the AC, you might think of removing it. It would reduce the weight on the front end by a noticeable amount (a bit more than 1% of the entire car's weight) which would help in all sorts of ways.
ORIGINAL: 94blackC4

Hey Mr. Willis, i know that what you say about the weight of the A/C is true because ive heard it from just about everyone... But something i havent confirmed yet because ive been given so many different answers is, If you just get a shorter serpentine belt that wont go around the A/C would that also make a difference? Say i wanted to do taht instead of completely removing the system? Because i have been told yes and no by many different people. Thanks
You read my mind!!! I was JUST thinking about this yesterday! Like 94blackC4 here, I don't know what's involved? Can you get a kit to remove it? Or would getting a shorter belt, like 94blackC4 here says, do the trick? What method would you recommend for doing this? I can't tell you how much I appreciate your input, Lee, you rock.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: blueshark

I too, have had mine('87coupe) for one month yesterday. .....what a car. And the wayI was able to get it just makes it that much more enjoyable. Been driving it 700+ miles every week. just a joy. like you said TS, the ac on these babies is a little week but you can always go "topless". most things are better topless anyway.
Words to live by! *hi5's blueshark*

So, how did you find your car? This sounds like a cool story I'd love to hear! Don't you find yourself amazed that these things are near 20 years old now, yet there is very little out there (in the form of stock cars) that can hold a candle to them? Never ceases to amaze me, that's for sure! [8D]Thanks for postin', bro!

Old 08-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

To be honest it Scared the Crap out of him. He said if I keep this car, I'm going to die. He may have been right. He didn't handle hp well. I think he's a smart man!!!

Old 08-18-2006, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

To be honest it Scared the Crap out of him. He said if I keep this car, I'm going to die. He may have been right. He didn't handle hp well. I think he's a smart man!!!
OK, that's the only acceptable excuse!!! No, I can relate. That's not just fast, that's downright brutally scary at that level. I mean, c'mon, the car weighs all of what... 8 lbs? Like I said elsewhere, my buddy had a 350 in his and on the highway in 4th it'd break the tires loose with no problem. Now, that might sound like fun from afar... but close up, you can't help but notice that smell from peein' yer pants.