Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

oil blowing out....

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Default oil blowing out....

Oil around my valve covers and right behind the runners around the distibutor cap on the passenger side oil is spitting out like someone drilled a whole in there. Im nto sure why Gaskets are fairly new. I bought some eddlebrock chrome valve covers from advance autoparts about 6 months ago....Never has been right since. Yes the bolts are down tight but not too tight. Just changed the oil too. Please help!!! Also, its smoking really bad because of the oil leaking so I went to NAPA today and bought some engine sealant that you pour in the PCV valve and he said it may/may not help. Try it and see. I drove it around for a little while didnt see any smoke but it was dark and I have tint All around so no light comes thru. Plus the windshield is tinted too. Any suggestions????

Old 03-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: oil blowing out....

Either your manifold and v/c are not sealed properly or your PCV system might be stopped up. Another thing to look at, pull your dip stick out while engine is warmed up and running to see if you have any blowby. [8D]

Old 03-09-2007, 05:19 PM

Passenger side though it is like someone drilled a hole. When I shut off the motor it was hissing and bubbles coming from back there. Very difficult to see back there though! How do I fix it if its stopped up or if its not sealed. Like I said, I poured some of that gasket/oil sealant to see if it would help. Also. Right where the cats are below the manifold it seems something is dripping down there on to them because smoke is coming from down there as well. Can you tell me what is right below the manifold/above the cat. This is on both sides. And the hissing is very loud!!

Old 12-25-2007, 07:27 PM

Greetings everyone- I;m marty,I'm new here but I've had a few headaches along the way and asprin didn't help, but persistance did. I don't know how many years or models have the LT1 engine but the cure I found for the leak mentioned here is:" top front of throtle body a rectanguler piece of plastic secured by six screws has an equal size gasket under it drops into the chamber where it blocks a small hole {about one half inch} and causes preasure too build inside engine, which cause oil too be forced out of the block anywhere there is a seal. I threw away the gasket, and enjoyed doing it. Hope this helps......... Marty

Old 12-26-2007, 07:11 AM

The LT1 was used from 1992-1996.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:33 PM

I had the same problem w/ both sides of the motor. It must of been old issue for the last owner due the records I got w/ the car. If its not the intake gasket or a plugged pcv its most likely a warped valve cover. I changed the v/c gasketson my '86 vette and they leaked, so on my second try to fix I looked at all the holes on the covers. I found uneven torqued or over tighten bolts warped the cover just enough to cause a leak. After a little tweeking I got the pass. side 100% no leak and the drivers side just a little weep when hot.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:51 PM
cwb

I second the valve cover leaks.

If the pcv is fouled, you still gotta' get air from somewhere, and the v/c seal mighta' got breached. It COULD be the hiss too...