Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

paintin my 86

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Default paintin my 86

any suggestions? i've never striped paint off of fiberglass and i dont want to trash the body on my 86. i need some help i heard somthin about walnut shell sand blasting it not sure about it. any tip?

thx

Old 02-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Default RE: paintin my 86

Hey, I have some experence in this, I work in a factory where we have huge blast building for stripping helicopters. We use plastic media which is ground up plastic recycled soda bottles. This process is really safe for metal and composite materals. Except its messy, best to pay someone to do the job right. Stay away from chemical strippers, it nasty and will ruin the gellcoat. If your lucky you might be able to lightly sand the old finish and refinish over the existing surface. Without pictures its like surgury over the phone. And to answer the walnut shell process question, is its the same as plastic media blasting except the shell sizes varies, it works perfectly and is fast turn around time.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:08 PM

Walnut shell is a good choice, due to the fact that it is all natural and is not as abrasive as sand or any other media. If you do strip the entire fiberglass section of the car you will need to re-gelcoat the entire fiberglass.

Why do you feel you need to strip the car? Is there cracking in the fiberglass?

I just painted mine. I had some fiberglass damage which I repaired, and gelcoated the areas that needed it only. Sanded car with 180 grit in good areas and primered entire car in slick sand which is an Evercoat product (the best primer on the market), including bumpers, fiberglass, and repaired areas. Hand blocked entire car, sealed entire car with catalyzed sealer, base coated and clear coated car. Cut and buff entire car and will have show room finish.

If you have any questions let me know.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:56 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: YANKEECORVETTE
If your lucky you might be able to lightly sand the old finish and refinish over the existing surface.
I agree with this.

Factory primer is usually top quality, and makes for the best base for a new coat. Before anything, you should try hand sanding with 1600 - 2000 wet-or-dry paper, then get a pro to see if it's a good prep for the new coat. I wouldn't take down any more than necessary...

Old 02-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Lot of good advice here, another media is baking soda. Works well and will not harm the glass body. But like was said NEVER use liquid strippers on plastic (fiberglass resin). The active ingredient is Methylene-chloride and will dissolve pretty much any plastic including the soles of your shoes, and skin if left on it long enough, LOL!.