Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

passenger dash pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Default passenger dash pad replacement

Hey everyone...... I would like to know if anyone has used a flat panel replacement kit for the passenger side of the dash from one of the manufacturers. I bought one form Mid America that doesnt even match the factory plastic. If anyone has any pics or experience I could use the advice. By the way....I bought the car with a wood grain kit already installedin the interior and dont have the factory pad. I had to buy all new dash plastic to get it right....but...I have this passenger side problem thanks

Old 04-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: passenger dash pad replacement

I replaced mine with it. It matches good in my 86, but I got to tell ya, it was a pain in the a--. There are screws and nuts to get to that really hard to reach. There are 2 nuts that you have to remove dash pad and lower valance below the carpet knee pad. Have to remove the fuse cover. I had to remove my ECM and mounting bracket and use a 1/4" extension 12' with a swivel 7mm socket to get to 2 screws in each of the lower corners of the pad. The top screws are easy once the dash pad is removed. You also have to take out some a/c duct and replace it with the flex hose that comes with the kit. Then have to remove the a/c vent to reuse it in the new panel. If the windshield wasn't in the car it would be easy , all in all it took about 2 hours to do it. If I get time I'll take some pics and post them of the finished product.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:53 PM

Did you use the Mid America plate or did you use another company? I'm also afraid to take the top off the dash because I dont want it to crack. Is the top of the dash very delicate? I have seen pictures of corvettes that use plates that either screw or tape on top of the hole without taking the top of the dash off. I did see a picture of one plate that had corvette stamped in it[>:]

Old 04-05-2007, 03:19 PM

I just bought a dash top last week and I plan on installing this weekend. From what I can see, the dash top is delicate. It is made from a hardened "styrofoam like" matarial . If you do take it out you have to be very careful not to force it because it might crack the styrofoam. Hopefully you wont have to mess with the dash top. Just my .02

Old 04-05-2007, 06:10 PM

I know......mine is in excellentshape and I really dont want to hurt it. Are you going to leave the passenger side crash pad in?

Old 04-05-2007, 08:46 PM

i put 1 in i got it from ecklers and mine was a breeze but then again my breadloaf was busted so all it took was alil twist and turn and the loaf was out and the new piece was in and bolted up

Old 04-05-2007, 11:02 PM

Hi Bill......does the ecklers one stick on with tape or screws? does it match the factory panels in color too? The mid america one I got looks like it was painted with krylon......gloss to be exact. It is a horrible match

Old 04-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

The dash pad is pretty durable. It is made of compressed styrofoam with the skin heat shrunk and glued to the foam. Pulled mine several times. 2 screws on the top at the defrost vent, 2 screws over the radio, 3 or four over the cluster and it slides out. [8D]

Old 04-06-2007, 01:09 PM

Hi Mech.......Good words......how about the speakers? I had a bose system in there that the previous owner took out. Should there be anything under the speaker covers? I know there was a option for radio systems. Also just for my info......does it really matter if the car doesnt have that soft crash pad in it. What do most people do, leave it in or take it out?Should I consider getting one and putting it back to stock?

Old 04-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

There are no speakers in my dash, just cloth covered blanks. If your crash pad is good, I would leave it in because of the hassle of getting it out. Later C4's had the flat panel.

Quick Reply: passenger dash pad replacement