Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

passenger dash pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Default RE: passenger dash pad replacement

What is behind that pad? I keep looking at that replacement kit in Mid-America,
and peaked in from the fuse plate and screws look like they are hard to reach, but
behind that is tempature actuator which is not working, and I can't find a rebuilt replacement, was
toying with the idea of running a cable so I could manually blend temperature.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

There is another plate that is part of the dash housing. You can remove the knee pad, but that too is kinda fun to get to a couple of the bolts from the top anfter you remove the top dash pad.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:08 AM

I am going to get involved with removal of the breadbox also. Actually, I purchased two kits from Ecklers, kit 1 is the textured black panel that comes with a piece of white duct and a small piece of molding.

Kit 2 consists of a stick on burlwood overlay and a laminated piece of linoleum type material. Once the breadbox is removed, the woodgrain overlay and laminate piece screw on to cover the opening and the air conditioning duct connects to it. Don't have a clue how.

The instructions for Kit 2 are limited only to sticking the wood overlay on to the laminated piece.

The instructions for kit 1 were more involved. They explain two methods for removal of the breadbox. The one that looks somewhat less difficult (although not easy) mentions using a hacksaw blade to get behind the breadbox and saw off the brackets retaining it. Think thats easier said than done. The more complicated method involves removing the dash pad and gets really involved.

Called Ecklers for advice on kit 2 but they could offer nothing, except for the dude stating "its not rocket science". Thanks for the help?

Guess I will try cutting the brackets off of the thing.

Please advise if some serious methods of removal come up.

Thanks and good luck.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:50 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: C4land

I am going to get involved with removal of the breadbox also. Actually, I purchased two kits from Ecklers, kit 1 is the textured black panel that comes with a piece of white duct and a small piece of molding.

Kit 2 consists of a stick on burlwood overlay and a laminated piece of linoleum type material. Once the breadbox is removed, the woodgrain overlay and laminate piece screw on to cover the opening and the air conditioning duct connects to it. Don't have a clue how.

The instructions for Kit 2 are limited only to sticking the wood overlay on to the laminated piece.

The instructions for kit 1 were more involved. They explain two methods for removal of the breadbox. The one that looks somewhat less difficult (although not easy) mentions using a hacksaw blade to get behind the breadbox and saw off the brackets retaining it. Think thats easier said than done. The more complicated method involves removing the dash pad and gets really involved.

Called Ecklers for advice on kit 2 but they could offer nothing, except for the dude stating "its not rocket science". Thanks for the help?

Guess I will try cutting the brackets off of the thing.

Please advise if some serious methods of removal come up.

Thanks and good luck.

Somethin' about 'hacksaws and vettes', and irreversable fixesbothers me.

I got a 'ghetto' fix workin' right now with my power steering fluid cooler, but it's completely reverseable when the new cooler comes in.

Not rocket science he said, huh? He must be on the clock.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:51 AM
cwb

dup post.

another mistake. Sorry lees.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:10 AM

Don't worry about it. I wouldn't want to "hack" on you.
ORIGINAL: cwb

dup post.

another mistake. Sorry lees.