General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Exterior door sill rubber need replacing

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Default Exterior door sill rubber need replacing

Hi again all!!!!

The exterior door sill rubber on my 1990 rag top is "rock hard" and starting to crack and split. Looks like the only way to get at the screws is to remove the door panel.

Has any one out there done this before......I realize it's a fairly simple job, but I know from past experience on removing door panels from other cars I've owned, that there is "always a trick or sequence to follow" and I don't want to break any plastic fittings or clips if i can avoid it...........

Thanks again for any help
Warren from Toronto

Old 10-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Default RE: Exterior door sill rubber need replacing

I replaced the ones on my '92 convertible and it was not a job for the meek. Getting the door panel off is the easy part. In addition, the exterior sill is riveted in place and held with one screw. I took out both driver and passenger windows to make it easier. It was just a pain trying to work around the window, so out they came.

Removing the door panel is fairly straight forward. There are a few "hidden" screws around the inside door handle mechanism. On my '92 I had to pop out the light above the door handle to gain access to a screw.

CG

Old 10-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Default RE: Exterior door sill rubber need replacing

CG...........thanks again for your prompt advice and suggestions.
Sounds like your advice was earned the hard way through "knuckle busting and head scratching".....think I'll but this job off for now as I don't look forward to "screwing around" with trying to realign windows......I remember trying to do this job when I did my "body-off" on my "65 coupe....and it was a "pain in the ***" even back then.

Thanks again
Warren