Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Radio Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Default Radio Help

I'm at a road block. I have an 86 with the bose option. My front passenger speaker went out. I pulled thespeaker and found water damage was the cause for its failure. I've found two used bose speakers with amps and enclousers on ebay for 90 bucks. However i've been doing some research and found that MidAmerica sells a direct fit Pioneer In-Dash Player. If i purchased the pioneer deck and a aftermarket non-amplified replacement speaker, could i still use my 3 exsisting bose speakers? Or am i going to have to reedo everything?

Old 06-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Default RE: Radio Help

What I would do, if you don't want to replace all of the Bose speakers is call or go to www.crutchfield.com and buy the aftermarket deck to bose adapter. I had one in my Infiniti and it worked fine. I am actually going to change the deck in my '90 soon because it has a weak channel and I will use this adapter with some kind of an Alpine deck. Ditching all of the Bose stuff is the best option for sound quality but is of course more costly. Just depends on how much $ you want to spend, and no I would not try to mix Bose speakers with aftermarket speakers! You cannot run the Bose stuff off an aftermarket deck without that adapter.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:31 AM

I have a complete set of front and rear bose speakers with the enclosed cases with the amps.. All work and no damage.

Make offer

Old 06-30-2007, 02:13 PM

My '87 had no sound when I bought her. I replaced all wiring, deck , speakers etc. in one weekend. Also, a few bloody knuckles

I couldn't go the high-end sound system at the time. I was quoted almost $3,000 at sound shops. So, I went to Walmart (don't laugh!), purchased the Sony Explode system: speakers and deck, adapter kit, heavy gauge speaker wire (handles base better I was told) and some wire connectors.

Anyways, the whole thing was less than $350 (including cold beer) I believe. Sounds great!

Just a thought if you have a tight budget like I had at the time[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-30-2007, 05:54 PM

If you want to replace the whole system and don't want to spend a lot of money I would recommend Ebay for everything... Just make sure you check their feedback before you buy. I built a whole 2k system for my Infiniti on Ebay and didn't have any problems with the components whatsoever. Here is a list for a budget but good quality system for a Vette, (in my opinion).

5.25 or 6.5 separate mids and tweets (whatever biggest size will fit, I haven't really measured) for the front: $250 for a decent set (Diamond, Infiniti, MB Quart, Boston Acoustics) I have the Diamonds myself in my Infiniti and love them
a decent cd deck with an ipod input such as an Apine or an Eclipse: $250
Some kind of a 10" or 12" sub: under 200 for a decent one (I also have a Diamond 12" sub. In the Vette I would go with a 10", the 12" tends to be a little boomy at times, you will have it right next to you so a decnent 10" should be more than adequate.
and a 4 channel amp, just bridge two channels together and use the other two for the fronts: 300 or so (I have JL amps but any decent amp like an Alpine would be fine.)
I would figure 150 or so for wire, wiring harness, misc. connectors, and a mounting kit if you don't buy a double din deck

If you but a good enough set of components you won't need any speakers in the rear. The only reason I would go with a 4 channel amp is because space is tight.. So for around 1150 or less you can get a really great sounding stereo that will blow the crap out the Bose system. Food for though..