Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

rear quarters

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator
Default rear quarters

Hi all, I have an '87 coupe. are the rear quarters manufactured as one piece on this year or are they two from the factory. I haven't gottin in to it yet but mine seams to be two. I'm just wondering if mine has been replace before. I am trying to do it with factory parts instead of eklers or 'vette america. any help with this determanation would be appreciated. Cheers, George(BlueShark)

Old 10-02-2006, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: rear quarters

They are 2 pieces, both bonded to the body with this gorilla glue they use to hold it together at the fuel tank door and at the door. Real pain in the *** to R & R. I had one cracked on my 86 and I reglassed it, which was way easier than R & R. [8D]

Old 10-03-2006, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Mech, Your reply confirms what I was told by an outside source. I purchased a new/ used quarter from ebay and I'm going to attempt to replace mine. Wish me luck.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:13 AM

By the way, Mech259, you referred to a "gorilla" glue in this thread. Can you recommend a really good glue I can use to apply to my burl-oak dash I had installed a few years ago. When I store my Vette for the Winter, in the Spring when I take it out some of the parts of the dash/door burl-oak overlays are "warped" and have to be re-glued again. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

mypetu39

Old 10-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Well, some sort of quick bonding epoxy would work for that. The "gorilla glue" I was referring to is a special bonding agent made for fiberglass panels that is a 2 part mixture and you don't want to use that for what you need it for.[8D]

Old 10-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck on your project, replacing those panels is a daunting task to say the least. Check into it with a local body shop that handles those kind of repairs 1st before you tie into it. []

Old 10-05-2006, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

I can see from looking at the underside it will be a task to get all the dang rivits out. as for the replacement of the panel I have a multitude of fiberglass working tools and loads of bonding materials. hopefully I will be able to get it right. I was thinking of useing a product called plexus, it's an epoxy based adhesive designed for the marine industry or some 3M 5200 marine sealent and bondinding agent, it stays flexable and cures with water and the glass will come apart before it will. The local body shop wanted 814.00 for the quarter alone. sounds like a racket to me. wish me luck.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: mypetu39

By the way, Mech259, you referred to a "gorilla" glue in this thread. Can you recommend a really good glue I can use to apply to my burl-oak dash I had installed a few years ago. When I store my Vette for the Winter, in the Spring when I take it out some of the parts of the dash/door burl-oak overlays are "warped" and have to be re-glued again. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

mypetu39

Hi, you might want to try 3M 5200 or 3M 4200. It's like caulking, I think lowes or home depot will carry it. Both very strong but tape off anything you don't want ruined, it is a pain in the butt to get off. use denatured alcohol to clean up with. after you apply the desired amount tape the panel in place till it dries. also maybe put some of that moisture absorbant stuff in it. I can't remember the name of it but it comes in tub like cool whip. good luck.