Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Removing air pump. Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Default Removing air pump. Good or Bad?

What is the benefit of removing the air pump system? besides obvious weight reduction, does it really add 20hp? or is it mainly just inconvienient and cheaper to buy a set of aftermarket headers without it.?

Old 06-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Default RE: Removing air pump. Good or Bad?

It will add 5 horsepower just like Paris Hilton is a christian.Man I hate her. Anyway, nope it adds pretty much nothing besides weight reduction. It cleans up the engine bay, gets rid of excess wait and makes it easier to work on stuff under there. If you get headers, the ones I am thinking of, your going to need a different alternator braket. Im getting the delete pully because mine is driving me insane with this annoying noise because its worn out. I have 0 exaust piping straight manifolds with gutted cat shells. Im gettng ready to yank all that **** off there and run straight manifolds until I get headers get a bigger exaust piping, I have 2.5 sitting in my garage but i wont to up it to 3 inch with hooker headers, muffler eliminators, true dual.Eliminate the A.I.R. pump as well. Im going to keep the EGR because it keeps the temps cooler in the combustion chambers. Some people chose to rip it off then use a block off plate to seal it off. Really doesn't matter as it wont hurt your engine from what I read. Dont qoute me on that though. From what I have been reading and studying, headers adds about 15 horsepower back from what was lost removing all cats and muffler eliminators along with bigger piping/true dual SUPPOSEDLY adds around 30-40 but I dont think that much.Midamerica is so full of B.S. Airfoils add 12 horsepower...right...Dont fall for those gimick garbage. I have and lost $$$ that couldve been spend on alot better things....

Old 06-07-2007, 07:30 PM

Oh yea, one more thing. If you take off the A.I.R. pump or any other emissions equipment you wont pass the sniffer test. We dont have it here but you will still fail the visual inspection when they look under the car and see no cats. They may just pop the hood which is required here and see your pump is gone...so...I have a "friend"**50 dollar bill** that lets me slip by with the illegal exaust, tint, ect. Maybe you can slip it under the table too. Lots of the nasty shops like this business as it brings in alot of extra $$$.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:08 PM

Yeah Im pretty tired of the paris hilton play by play.

Ya I have a straight pipe where the catalytic converter used to be, and dual flowmasters, 3 inch pipes... it sounds great, I jsut hear that L98's are so restricted when it comes to exhaust and intakes. so I am trying to open it up... I dont have emissions laws here, but with global warming laws coming up, ya never know what could happen so I think I will keep the air pump just in case and shell out a little more for the air tubes on the headers, even though its cramped and looks like ****.

Ya I heard the airfoils dont show gains on a dyno maybe 2 horsepower... ive got one aswell it came with the car...

im also gonna open up my plenum a bit and put a 52mm throttle body, remove the screens from my MAF sensor, and put a better intake on there.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:38 PM

52 mm throttle body on stock motor=zero gain

Maf sensor descreened=very little gain**I did it anyway**

Recomended intake for a L-98 is cutlid/K&N filter.....I say get the BPP vortex ram air with a big mouth air dam.

Reroute coolant bypass mod=cooler plenum faster

Exaust=BIG IMPROVMENT

Porting plenum shows pretty much nothing in the quarter mile so its not much gain but it might be a few ponys.

Underdrive pullys would be a good idea=about 10 horsepower

Pretty much covers the bolt ons....Had the air foil. I think it smooths out the air coming in the throttle body but I needed the money so I sold it for ten bux.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:19 AM

have you tried the vortex from BPP, ive read about it says its good for 20hp. thats sounds a little high to me.

ya the coolant bypass trick is easy. I will do it. I plan on cutting the stock air cleaner lid.

I read somewhere there is an air temp sensor that can be moved to the air cleaner area to gain a few hp. kits like 30 bucks.

ever been to digitalcorvettes.com, guys complain about the BM air dam. I think it looks pretty slick though

Old 06-08-2007, 04:25 PM

Yea, the maf sensor relocation kit. I think it helps a little because common sense says the heat is giving it a false reading. Im no expert but I dont think it does anaything great. No, the intake wont give you 20. No cold air intake is going to give big gains because of the way it was set up. Runs hot for emissions. Tell the guys at digitalcorvettes to shove it where the sun dont shine and patrick and the shield can keep there traps quiet too.Alot of people say the BPP is a giant piece of metal ****. I think it looks good and I am going to evenually do it. Cut lid and K&N are probably the same maybe a little less than the vortex. Who cares. Its a better intake than the stock set up. If you can lower temps, that would be beneficial. Its what I am trying to do.Im just so short on cash and high on ideas. Oh well. Just rip out the old pos motor and drop a 427 in there and call it a day.[8D]

Old 06-08-2007, 06:26 PM

You can gut the air pump and the pulley will turn it freely. Thus emissions inspectors will not know the difference.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:03 PM

ya thats an interesting idea! not sure if its really worth the effort?

I really am gonna open up the stock air cleaner lid,

I guess the only way to get real power out of any engine is too get into the heads and cam, and havea breathable intake and exhaust.

did you guys happen to see the article about the LT4 hotcam, with the 1.6 roller rockers, upgraded runners,52mm throttle body, and headers, complete exhaustmaking 358hp. thats pretty decent for an L98!

I just read how theres quite a bit of benefit even to just put in 1.6 roller rockers. I think eventually I will do it and freshen up new seals and valve covers.

Realistically I think I want to be just over 300horse, and I havent run the quarter yet to see where I am at, but I would hope for something in respectable 13's.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:28 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: Blackz51

What is the benefit of removing the air pump system? besides obvious weight reduction, does it really add 20hp? or is it mainly just inconvienient and cheaper to buy a set of aftermarket headers without it.?
Why are you considering this? Where did the info for the 20 hp increase come from?

Almost every function of your motor is related to another function of the motor, sometimes in ridiculous ways. Removing a system can cause other functions to fail...

Quick Reply: Removing air pump. Good or Bad?