Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Removing air pump. Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 10:47 PM
cwb
Default RE: Removing air pump. Good or Bad?

ORIGINAL: Black86vette

Exaust=BIG IMPROVMENT
This is just as wrong as can be. That's according to Gordon Killebrew. Google him, if you want.

He says flow restriction on a stock L98 is on the INTAKE, not the exhaust. The L98 intake was engineered for a 5 liter (about 302 C I) motor.

Kinda explains why the torque is almost double the horsepower of an L98. Almost.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:44 PM

Wow thats great information on intake cwb, infact I saw a picture of a guy who had the factory exhaust manifolds on a 383, so they must be fairly adequate

well I was mainly curious why you see it done so often, and why corvettecentral ect... says you get 20hp from removing the air pump.

Im eventually just gonna get some hooker or tpis headers with the air pump. the last thing I need is problems causeI saved a few bucks on headers without.

everything works together, no doubt a good intake helps a good exhaust, vice versa.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:55 PM

Actually YOU need to do the research and go to www.corvetteforum.com They will set you straight on the L-98 exaust. It has 2 pre cats and a large main cat. The main cat is a huge piece of junk. I gutted precats and now am running staight manifolds. No its not the best because I have no back pressure but my dual exaust needs some fine tunning again. Not a restriction? ok...Second, no intake is going to give the L-98 HUGE gains. Think about it. The only reason it has so much torque **330** is because of the short runners. It has low end torque while the LT1 will smoke the L-98s butt in a heart beat at the strip once it gets up to speed. The L-98 in simple terms, "runs out of breath". Whats with your email? I have issues because of jesus christ and paris hilton??? One more thing on the exaust. Removing the two front cats gives about 10 and removing the back cat adds another ten. Also high performnance mufflers and LT headers will really give your power some boost along with a GM hotcam, 1:6 roller rockers...The list goes on and on. Gordon Kilbrew? Yea, he is a corvette engineer. I dont need to google him. I know much about him and hes pretty much a walking, talking dictionary when it comes to C4s. I have no idea where you got your info on the exaust set up being good on a L-98. Leesvette, where are you right now? You can back me up on this one. Also, I mean no disrepsect towards you or your opinion.We can agree to disagree. We need a third party involved.

Exaust=BIG IMPROVMENT
[/quote]

This is just as wrong as can be. That's according to Gordon Killebrew. Google him, if you want.

He says flow restriction on a stock L98 is on the INTAKE, not the exhaust. The L98 intake was engineered for a 5 liter (about 302 C I) motor.

Kinda explains why the torque is almost double the horsepower of an L98. Almost.
[/quote]

Old 06-09-2007, 11:57 PM

One more thing I would like to make public to everyone. I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder last year. So from your email since I have issues. Bipolar disorder made me have issues last year but im on medicine so im quite capable of voicing my opinion as are you. Im not going to start a fight here because I have already gone thru that with another member and I dont want to get either of us in trouble so lets just leave it as it is. A disagreement.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:04 PM

if you dont like the "look" of the air pump loose it then, the belt length you will need will be 658 without the air pump, it takes about 40-50 to do it (super easy) a 4 /10 on difficulty scale