Notices
Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Replacement shocks

Old 01-01-2019, 02:31 PM
Default Replacement shocks

I have a 1990 coupe with the optional adjustable ride option. This system creates more headaches than it is worth. Does anyone know who makes shocks that will replace the factory adjustable ones. All the vendors I have checked with the listings all say not for adjustable ride option. HELP!!!!!!

Old 01-02-2019, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

If the shock mounting points are the same as a standard suspension on the Corvette, it seems like a standard replacement shock would work. Of course it would probably trip some error messages on one of the computers. That might be alleviated by finding the proper value of resistance to connect to the cabling to a shock. Just a thought.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
If the shock mounting points are the same as a standard suspension on the Corvette, it seems like a standard replacement shock would work. Of course it would probably trip some error messages on one of the computers. That might be alleviated by finding the proper value of resistance to connect to the cabling to a shock. Just a thought.
Thanks for the reply. The shock mounting is the problem. No one seems to be able to tell me if the mount is the same. I thought about just buying a shock to see if it fits but neither NAPA, O;reilly, Auto Zone et al stock the shocks so they are special order and cannot be returned.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

I guess that just leaves looking at another C4 and comparing the shock mounts.
There is a Corvette salvage business in Pennsylvania called Contemporary Corvettes. You might check with them to see if they can tell whether or not the shocks are interchangeable.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

You also might try checking with the plethora of aftermarket Corvette suppliers to see if they are interchangeable.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:44 PM

The aftermarket suppliers were no help and neither was Bilstein or KYB. I'll try the outfit in Pennsylvania. Thanks much for the info.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.