Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Replacing Tape deck.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 04:41 AM
Default Replacing Tape deck.

I went to the local Car Toys in the neighborhood to see about getting a cd player installed in my Vette and get rid of that tape player. I was planning on spending know more than $200.00.

They said that the Vette has Bose 1 ohm speakers in it, and to put a new deck in it I need to replace all speakers in the car. They said if I just put a deck in it without new speakers, that I am running a chance of burning up the deck or something like that???

Has anyone else had success in putting a new deck in their "85" Vette without replacing their speakers.

By the way they said to do all the work it would be $589.00 plus taxes.

Or is their a way a can get a stock deck from a newer Vette with a cd player and run it. Thanks for yout help.

Old 11-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Default RE: Replacing Tape deck.

I installed a Pioneer w/cd. The same one you see in the Eklers and others. You can use your factory Bose speakers. You do have to purchase additional components to adjust the output of yoiu dash unit to match your Bose speakers. (one for front and one for the rear. like $20 or $30 for the pair)

I got mine locally. The dash unit with the two additional units to match the unit to the speakers had a total cost of $300 . And it was an all plug in deal. You don't have to pay through the nose to have someone else install it. If you can change your sparkplugs you can install this unit. I am happy with mine.

If your intersted I can try to dig up the reciepts to get all the part numbers. Or I can get the number of the shop I bought my stuff from and Doug can set you up with everything you need. He wired everything up for me so all I had to do was unplug the factory unit and plug in the new one.
I did have to adjust the signal matchers but that was a piece of cake. Don't let those guys jerk you around. If you deal with the right guy he'll help you out.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:37 PM

how does it sound? compared to the orgional head unit?

Im going through the same situation right now. i am interested on those addition components that you had to install with the head. where do they sell those?

Old 11-16-2005, 08:03 PM

It sounds pretty good, better than the factory AM FM Cassette. With the Bose you still get good bass. Good sound is more of an opinion but to compare it to the factory stereo it's much better. Plus the Pioneer has many neat options. 3 high pass filter setting to chose from, preset EQ curves including 1 "custom" that you can set the way you want. 3 loudness setting plus off , You can program CD titles in so the title diplays when your playing a CD, There are way to many options to list.

I can't for the life of me find my darn reciept to get the part numbers but if you call the guy I worked with, he was like an open book and very willing to help. I'm sure if you wanted he would set one up and ship it to you or perhaps even tell you exactly what you need so you can maybe find it locally. I'm sure he would send you what you need and if your not in a real big hurry I'm still looking for my darn reciept. It's sure to have the part name and number on it. These small units are the size of a Zippo lighter. They will work with any powered head I would think. The Bose have their own amplifiers so these reduce your heads output to match the input needs of the Bose. My guy had them right in stock so I'm sure if you go to a car stereo shop near you they may have them as well. Problem is alot of shops try to talk you into and sell you something way more than you want or need.

I don't know if I can list his store and phone number on here. I would like a moderators permission to do so be fore I do. If not email me and I can give it to you that way. This guy works with other Vette guys around here. Thats how I found him.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:16 AM

Thanks for the info check your e-mail.

Old 11-20-2005, 05:31 PM

I was wondering instead of replacing the whole deck can I just put a cd changer in it and be done with it???

Old 11-20-2005, 10:57 PM

I'm not sure how you would hook that up. I'm sure you could but I also think it would get pricey. Like I said earlier, I put the AM, FM, w/CD Pioneer (@ 45wattsx4 if you would go to regular speakers), in my 88 and it worked out great. This is the full size face unit so it fills the opening in the dash. If you want I can take a picture of it installed and send it to you so you'd have an idea of what it looks like. I never use casettes any more anyways and have never missed the tape player. The factory radio sound is pretty weak as well and the aftermarket unit sounds much, much better. This whole conversion with the signal matchers had a total cost of around only $300. I had a stereo from a Cadilac in for a short. Worked good but the laser crapped out. I called a shop in Milwaukee and they said $150 to fix it but I should be aware that these are hard on lasers and it would need repairs again in the future. That's why I did what I did.