Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Rag top/ deck lid problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Default Rag top/ deck lid problem

[:'(]I have a 1991 rag top to replace. I can here the solenoid click but the deck won't release.What would most likelybe the problem? Also isit possible to release the deck manually? Thanks

Old 04-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Default RE: Rag top/ deck lid problem

I have a 1987 Vette conv't which had the top replaced last year. Under my deck lid is a mechanicallever that releases the deck lid, and, in addition, I have a yellow button in my glove box which electrically releases the deck lid. Also, in addition to these, I have, in each of the two doors, a button which releases this deck lid. It appears to me that you should have at least one of these buttons, maybe two. Open one of your doors and look down the edge by the door latch and you may see a black(?) button; try it if you have one. I've often wondered why so many deck lid releases? Too many problems, maybe. I know the cable attached to the mechanical lever under the deck lid comes away a lot and has to be re-attached. Good luck; (hope I helped you.)

mypetu39

Old 04-14-2007, 12:43 PM

Thanks "mypetu39", I have all of the bells and whistles you mentioned also. I am confused about the mechanical lever. The lever in my vette releases the rag top from the deck. All of the other releases are electric and "I wish" should release the deck for top stowage. I hear the solenoid trying to work but it will not release. Am I missing a mechanical lever or does yours work the same way?

Old 04-14-2007, 03:14 PM

I neaver had your problem, but try this. Push down on the deck lid and at the same time have another person push one of the release buttons. One of your latches may have too much of a load on it to release.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-14-2007, 04:24 PM

Thanks Harry, I have tried that and with no success. I'm begining to think it may be a faulty ground.
Possiblythe connections got wet because the rear glass leaks. That's the reason for trying to open it in the begining, to replace the convertible top. Not much room toaccessthe solenoids. You gotta love em when they are right, and hate em[:@]when they frustrate the @%)! out_ a_ you!! Thanks everyone, if you come up with anythingplease reach out. Happy vetteing!

Old 04-17-2007, 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: hollywuuddh

Thanks "mypetu39", I have all of the bells and whistles you mentioned also. I am confused about the mechanical lever. The lever in my vette releases the rag top from the deck. All of the other releases are electric and "I wish" should release the deck for top stowage. I hear the solenoid trying to work but it will not release. Am I missing a mechanical lever or does yours work the same way?
Our 1987 is a mechanical rod, as mentioned. I don't know, but perhaps they moved to an electronic solenoid for the newer models. On our car, the load on the roof when it's fully secured is too much, and the mechanical lever doesn't really work... I have a pair of gloves in my car, and I reach into the car and manually twist the bit that is connected to this lever/cables... it's a tight fit, and tough to turn, but it always works for us.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:09 AM

TOPSPEED, this is exactly what I used to do before I replaced the cables attached to the mechanical lever in my '87 Vette; I had to turn the little knobby things under the hood, and it was hard on the fingers. Frustrated, I had the cables replaced and had the cable retainers actually welded to the lid; the lever works great now.

mypetu39

Old 04-18-2007, 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: mypetu39

TOPSPEED, this is exactly what I used to do before I replaced the cables attached to the mechanical lever in my '87 Vette; I had to turn the little knobby things under the hood, and it was hard on the fingers. Frustrated, I had the cables replaced and had the cable retainers actually welded to the lid; the lever works great now.

mypetu39
Same here!! That's why I have gloves in the car... it makes for a much less painful experience trying to turn those little *****, when they have that pressure on them. Good to know that new cables fix this! I am going to get that done next year; got a few more pressing issues to tackle before that....

*scratches goatee* Welding the retainers to the lid... what a great idea! I'll use that, too, bro!

Old 05-03-2021, 01:49 PM
Default solenoid button

Originally Posted by hollywuuddh
Thanks Harry, I have tried that and with no success. I'm begining to think it may be a faulty ground.
Possiblythe connections got wet because the rear glass leaks. That's the reason for trying to open it in the begining, to replace the convertible top. Not much room toaccessthe solenoids. You gotta love em when they are right, and hate em[:@]when they frustrate the @%)! out_ a_ you!! Thanks everyone, if you come up with anythingplease reach out. Happy vetteing!
I have the same problem in my 1994 Corvette. There is evidence of significant water intrusion and I believe that the electrical connections are corroded.
I tried to open the rear stowing hatch manually but the handle broke off on the drivers side. Can you get to the solenoids to release the latch if you can't get the lid open?

Old 05-03-2021, 01:52 PM

I have the same problem in my 1994 Corvette. There is evidence of significant water intrusion and I believe that the electrical connections are corroded.
I tried to open the rear stowing hatch manually but the handle broke off on the drivers side. Can you get to the solenoids to release the latch if you can't get the lid open?

Quick Reply: Rag top/ deck lid problem