Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Default spark plugs

Can anyone tell me how to change the last spark plug on passenger side of 93 vette? I changed all the rest, but can,t get last one. Help please!!! Oh yeah, also how do you change fuel filter? My 1987 vette is a lot less complicated to work on. I can get to everything without any problem.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Ric
Default RE: spark plugs

mdc1855... I used a spark plug socket that had the type of end you could put a wrench on. It is a type of socket that has a6 point top on it. It worked verywell for my 92 which should be the same.

The fuel filter is located on the passenger side frame under the car about under the passenger front foot well. The filter is easy to find in the parts store and is cheap. Jack up the passenger side and do it with the tank low of fuel ( it can make a mess). You will need line wrenches but I don't remember the size, maybe somebody else will.

Good Luck
Ric

Old 01-04-2009, 01:11 PM

Thanks Ric, I have one of those sockets, but my fuel lines run down in front of the plug and I can,t even get my hand in there. I have the fuel filter and a lift,but exhaust pipe is one inch away from thr filter and I can,t get wrenches in there. Do I have to drop the exhaust or is there a trick to get to it thanks

Old 01-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Ric

mdc1855 I need to say my flexible fuel line's are missing the bracket to hold them firm so that is probably why I had no problem with the spark plug socket. You might try removing the hold down to the flexible hose so they will move.

I had no problem with exhaust pipe clearance and my filter was located aboveas the frame rails start to move up. The 92 has 2 cats and I don't have the resonator.I have3 inch pipe to the mufflers at the rear. I don't know if the 93 would be different but I had no issues with the pipe in the way on my 92.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:35 PM

I have a 92 and my fuel lines are still bracketed. I used the method that Ric used. You can also remove the middle piece in the front wheel liner to get a litle more room though it may not help on the number 8 plug you are trying to get at. Also, I have heard people remove number 8 from underneath the car. Use a piece of flexible fuel line to reinsert the new plug when you get it out. This plug is a real bitch to change.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:20 PM

Thanks guys, I took the fuel line bracket and spark plug bracket off and finally got the plug changed. I didn,t have a chance to change fuel filter because it got to dark. I will try tomorrow. The last time I had the car on lift mr pre cat was right beside filter I believe. Thank you for all your help.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:15 AM

Use this link to help with the fuel filter. It will help a bunch. http://www.corvetteforum.com/techtip...&TopicID=2

Here is another: http://www.corvetteforum.com/techtip...&TopicID=2

Old 01-07-2009, 04:40 PM

I purchased a '93 in October and have had some problems having a code 42. But to start with I started changing the plugs back to the original AC's that were reccomended even though the ones in there had only a couple of thousand miles on them. They were E-3's or something that are suppose to be enviromentally better???? Anyway the guy told me the one plug he did not change was the right rear/firewall one and I can see why. I too loosened the lines off the bracket and use an end wrench on the end of the socket to break it loose. Than I put a short extension on and because it was still awkward I turned my back on the engine to use my right hand better. My hand was pretty beat up by the time I got done. As I think about it now, I would maybe try a 1/4" adapter on the 3/8" socket to ratchet it out easier since I already had it loose. When I first tried to loosen it, I did break the porcelan off. I had another one on that side that was loose and another that came out hard and was cross threaded and had to use a thread chasser to clean the threads up and a shop vac just to make sure no shavings went into the cylinder. Haven't started the other side as it is parked for the winter. It supposedly only had about 6000 miles on a new optispark but has all the symptoms of it being broke. I have purchased a new Dynaspark to replace it. It looks muchmoredurable and water resistant and beefed up more. Hope this helps about the plugs. PS Looks like it might be easier to reach those plugs from underneath with the vehicle on a hoist, may try that on my neighbors hoist. Good Luck.