Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Starter alignment

Old 07-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Default Starter alignment

So here I am a bit frustrated. I have a '91 Corvette and recently the starter started to go - I would hear that dreaded solenoid click and then it would eventually start. So I first checked my battery connections and everything was fine. I bought a new starter and put the car up on jack stands and pulled the old starter out. I believe that was the original starter - had some rust on it and all. Anyways I put the other one back in and it started the first time however it sounded a bit weird when it started so I shut the car off and then same thing I could hear the solenoid kicking the shaft into the flywheel it sounded like - like it wasn't aligned - every once in a while it would start. The last time it started I had this whining sound - sounded like possibly the starter was engaged while the motor was running so I immediately shut the car off. So my question - is there a proper way to align the starter? The old one didn't have any shims on it and this one only bolts up with two main bolts that hold it to the block by the flywheel (VIN 8). I'd appreciate it if anyone has any insight. Thanks. Shane

Last edited by kuladog; 07-09-2010 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Not finished
Old 07-09-2010, 10:52 PM

Shane; sounds very much like your starter is a little tight. You can get the shims at most any parts store,start with one and add more if the problem persists. You're really lucky! Every starter spacing problem I've had the starter was too for away and didn't engage the flywheel and made a VERY unhappy noise! Good Luck!
Ron

Old 07-10-2010, 01:36 AM
Default Starter Alignment

Partsman, So I need shims even if I never had them before? The original starter didn't have any - doesn't make sense? Possibly 'cause there are new starter manufacturers? This one is a Delco Remy from Auto Zone - never thought I'd have an issue.
Thanks for your response.

Shane

Old 07-10-2010, 04:38 PM

All items are manufactured with tolerances,mostly everything sort of balances out when a complicated machine is assembled,some + parts and some - parts and everything works just fine. Occasionally we have what is called a "stack-up" problem. all plusses or all minuses and the thing either won't go together or simply won't function because thinks don't mesh. It's possible that's what we have here a minus starter bolted to a minus block with a plus flywheel and a plus starter pinion so it binds up? Just a guess!
Ron

Old 07-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Thumbs up

I have an 87 and the solenoid went completely out, no clicking, no engagement, no nothing, had to short across the starter terminals to get it started to get it home. Went to local parts house, purchased new solenoid, new brushes, and new bushings. I removed the starter and disassembled it. The brushes were completely worn out, the bushings had a lot of wear,the solenoid was bad. I put the new brushes, new bushings, and new solenoid on my old starter and bolted it back up. Works perfect and sounds like brand new. I like rebuilding my parts to avoid any fitting problems when I reinstall them. Just put back whatever was on it when you removed it. It's always good to disassemble the parts before replacing them, such as the starter, because if I had simply replaced the solenoid and reinstalled the starter, it would not have lasted very long with the worn out brushes and bushings. Sometimes the worn out bushings will make the starter drag, or you will have to start three or four times to get it to engage.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Where did you get the starter? If it is Autozone, take it back and go somewhere that sells AC Delco reman starters. I own an auto repair shop and never have any problems with proper fit on quality remanned starters.