Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

starting issues...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Default starting issues...

My 95 convt.started just fine every time i cranked her up. One day, she started fine, i forgot something inside my house, turned the car off, went back inside and came out 45 sec. later and the car did not want to turn over. all the electrical worked fine... radio, lights burned strong, a/c. but the engine did nothing, i took off the battery cables and cleaned them up and after about 10 minutes, the car started... and started fine for the next 3 weeks. I thought it was just the bad connections. one saturday, i went to work, started fine that morning, was going to get lunch, it did nothing again, drove a friends car, came back 10 minutes later, and it started fine. Started fine when i left work, but after i got home, i was leaving for dinner, it did not start, later that night, it did. Im wondering if my car has a mind of its own, and it is very tempermental... if anyone has had similar problems or has a suggestion of possible solutions, please let me know.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: starting issues...

Is your car automatic or standard? Could be ignition switch, neutral switch, clutch switch (for standards), starter. [8D]

Old 01-09-2007, 01:14 AM

I went through this similar issue with my car, it turned out to be a cracked gear in the reduction set on the starter, I am pretty sure your car uses a similar starter. I took it off, had it rebuilt, and the car has been great ever since. This just happened to me a couple of weeks ago, how many miles do you have on your car?

Old 01-09-2007, 02:12 AM

i appreciate the help, i believe i found the problem through further research. It was my ignition key. Somehow my key became worn and the sensor inside of it was not making good contact in the ignition. This was activating the VATS (Vehicle anti theft system). apparently if a key doesnt match and the car is attempted to be started, the ignition system shuts itself off for about 5 minutes. I've been using my spare key(which is not worn) and the car has been starting fine. The thing that bogled me the most and made me suspect somethink more electrical than mechanical (i.e. the starter) was when i rolled the car and popped the clutch, it would die immediately. Anyway, after a very frustrating day of browsing all over the internet, i think that is the cause, but im kinda glad it happened, cause if it didnt, i would not have found this great site. I just joined today, thanks again for the help, its always nice to know there are people out there with the same passion as me...(corvette)... funny cause my friends call it an obsession... they're just jealous... and by the way, my vette has 67,000 miles. hopefully i will put up some picks sometime soon. im also looking for an after market exhaust system that has a great sound, so if you have an suggestions lemme know....

Old 01-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

GM also had a lot of trouble with the reader built into the ignition switch. The pellet in the key is a resistor and the VATS module is programmed to read that resistance. Very small resistance, so any small fluctuation and the security is enabled. So if you continue to have any problems, look into the ignition switch. [8D]

Old 01-09-2007, 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: 95trplblkandtan

its always nice to know there are people out there with the same passion as me...(corvette)... funny cause my friends call it an obsession... they're just jealous...
I've got it real bad too... I'm in a 12 step program for it, but it's not working out too well..... I can't seem to shake it!

ORIGINAL: 95trplblkandtan

and by the way, my vette has 67,000 miles. hopefully i will put up some picks sometime soon.
I'd LOVE to see some pictures, bro!