Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Default Starting Problem

Just now after fueling my 90 vette the car wouldn't start. Had power everywhere. This has happened to me in the past. Replaced the starter and the alternator with the prior issues. While waiting for AAA a guy stopped by and said that he had a problem with his vette and it turned out to be the switch on the clutch pedal. Anyways another guy came by and we pushed and pop started the car. I got home back into the garage and it started right up. This was the case with the previous issues. I'm thinking that maybe I need to look for this switch. Has anyone else had this problem before. The good part is that the red with black convertable top seemed to attract some attention. I did meet two fellow vetters while I was broken down.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Default RE: Starting Problem

I have an auto but I know someone that had the exact problem and it was the safety switch on the clutch. I don't know where the switch is located, sorry.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:01 PM

Automatics are kool...Stix are kool but if its got that switch takes away some of the sweetness.[:'(]

Old 04-29-2007, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Switch is on the the clutch pedal high up under the dash. If it happens again, try pumping the clutch pedal several times to see if that helps.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:03 AM

Thanks Mech259. Tried it and no luck. Now I have to find the switch. Any thoughts on where I can get a new one?

Old 04-30-2007, 06:23 PM

would this switch on the clutch possibly cause the cruise control not to work?? my cruise doesnt work and ive checked out all the posibilities...except for taking it to the dealer (trying to solve it myself) The car starts fine, so im guessing the switch is fine, bought just a thought.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Most any auto parts should have it. And yes, it can cause your cruise not to work as the module thinks you might have your clutch pushed in. Does the car start without pushing in on the clutch. That would be a dead giveaway. [8D]

Old 04-30-2007, 09:43 PM

Mech259 mine pop starts and when I drive and shut it right down it usual starts so I'm guessing as far as mine goes it could/should be my switch. The cruise control is interesting as well semms to be operating in reverse of what it's doing to me and causing another vette problem. looks like this post helped two of us. Thanks again guys....

Old 05-01-2007, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Well, popping clutch to start is a different mode than with key because you are in the "run" mode. The start circuit is another circuit entirely on the ignition switch. The start circuit sends a signal throughsecurity system and then through neutral switch. Is your "Security" light blinking when trying to start? Could be a Pass Key problem. If so, then you might have to get the bypass harness to bypass the Pass Key system.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:55 PM

Mech259 the secuirty light slowly blinks when I go to start. Is that the normal operation?

Quick Reply: Starting Problem