Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Streaks on hood of black car

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Default Streaks on hood of black car

Hi Guys,

I know that there are guys that are are **** about the appearance of thier cars. Looking for advice. I have a black 96. If you look close,you can see light streaks in the paint almost like a stain. Also you can see some very light scratches on the surface. These are so light that you can only see them outside on a sunny day. Do I need to strip all the wax off and start over and if I do, what should I use.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Old 03-24-2008, 05:57 AM
Default RE: Streaks on hood of black car

bumping up for detail info.....

Old 03-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Well ....really need to see pictures but sounds like moisture or road grime/oilhas gotten in or under the paint. Is it a base/clear job? you might try some mild rubbing compound on a small area to see if it is on the surface or underlying. Are the streaks sort of multi-colored?, like an oil slick?Do they move if you apply pressure to the area? Post some pictures if you can and maybe the collective knowlege here can help you figure it out. Cheers.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the response. I was talking to a guy at an auto shop and he thought that the finish wasn't absolutely clean before the wax was applied. I put a coat of RejeX on the car and the finish is very shiny but you can see the streaks under the wax. He had suggested using Dawn dish soap and a little rubbing alcohol in water to remove the wax. Then he suggested using a polishing wax to clean up the surface. It is factory clearcoat finish. I know that I am being really fussy as you wouldn't see any blemish at all if it were a light colored car however the car is black. Does anyone agree or disagree with this solution.

Thanks Jim

Old 03-25-2008, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Give it a try. the alchol will not hurt the finish. is the Rejex wax you usedone of thoseliquids that you just put on and go?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:02 PM

Blueshark

It's an advanced polymer treatment or so it says on the bottle. Very easy to apply and remove. I think that it was my fault that I didn't get the surface spotless before applying treatment. I'll give the soap and alcohol a shot and let you know. Thanks for the interest guys.

Jim