Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

tranny filter swap...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Default RE: tranny filter swap...

Yup - Ford[:'(]has a plug on the torque convertor.......
You gotta admit though, having a drain plug on the converter is a pretty good feature.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:41 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: goat roper

It's been a while since I did it, but I don't think I had a clamp in the way. The only thing was that linkage. I've got an '87 convert. No trans cooler - just the one in the radiator. Didn't clean out the lines. You areleaving plenty of old fluid in there anyway in the torque converter. Ya, real fine stuff on the magnet, guess that's what it's there for. I really only know enough about mechanicin' to be dangerous.
Thanks again there goat!

If there's only the linkage bracket, OR the exhaust clamp, you could give the pan a LITTLE tip to one side, as you go back up. If you're blocked from both sides, you ain't goin' anywhere.

I got the nut off the exhaust clamp screw, after lettin' it soak with penetratin' lube. The clamp was spot welded on the back side, away from the pan, and it had to be bent below and above to make a straight shot to the pan. If the clamp gets too much of a distortion, I'll be able without a problem to put back on a U-clamp. The weld joint didn't break, so we should be okay. Make absolutely certain, anytime you have a high stress bolt, that you use aclosed wrench, if possible. Roundin' off a bolt is a killer ...

Notice closely in the second and third pics, the pan bolt hole, that's blocked by the clamp. THEN, picture the pan blockin the wrench from the OTHER side. Good job there, Bowling Green.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/0A3DD2838D9B440A80CB5BFDFAC299EC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/3D3F1ADF112146019D83ED1A6EFE9B5E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/76F9C64B43AF444799A496BD00EC4032.jpg[/IMG]

Pretty good pics too there, huh??? Feel free to wing some $$$ my way.Just kiddin'. Justdon't send me a bill for the bad advice

Now I know why those guys in Hollyweird take so much from ya' at the flicks

Old 10-19-2007, 04:37 PM
cwb

Has anybody ever disconnected the line that comes into the radiator - looks like a tranny fluid line - it comes in to the radiator just below the bottom radiator hose, passenger side, bottom, backside of radiator?????????????????????????????????????????? ?

Is it a special fittin'? I see no other way to get extra fluid out of the system...

EDIT: Looks like the second tranny fluid line comes into the radiator housing up top, near the radiator cap. Has any one ever disconnected this line?

Old 10-19-2007, 04:55 PM
cwb

Replace? Re-install?

That's a pretty heavy-duty clamp. Looks like a grade 5 or 8 bolt too - I can't tell by the markin's. Probably $30 at Chevy. Looks like it will spread the load pretty good too, whereas a U-clamp could break the weld joint.

[sm=smiley25.gif][sm=smiley25.gif][sm=smiley25.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/DE0C34818DFA4B35BD378EEA2BB9EA61.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-19-2007, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: cwb

Has anybody ever disconnected the line that comes into the radiator - looks like a tranny fluid line - it comes in to the radiator just below the bottom radiator hose, passenger side, bottom, backside of radiator?????????????????????????????????????????? ?

Is it a special fittin'? I see no other way to get extra fluid out of the system...

EDIT: Looks like the second tranny fluid line comes into the radiator housing up top, near the radiator cap. Has any one ever disconnected this line?
cwb, just a suggestion, but if you're trying to get the fluid out of the lines and radiator transmission cooler, it would probably be better to disconnect both lines from the transmission, then you can use an air gun at very low pressureto blow the fluid out of the lines and cooler.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:17 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: rshiver

cwb, just a suggestion, but if you're trying to get the fluid out of the lines and radiator transmission cooler, it would probably be better to disconnect both lines from the transmission, then you can use an air gun at very low pressureto blow the fluid out of the lines and cooler.
Yeah, as much fluid as possible. That fluid is barely red, and no shift problems. And we don't wanna' get into this territory any time soon. And whaddya think of that clamp there?

How bout them fittin's? Anything special about em? I got a vacuum pump for fluid, that I can attach to one of the lines. You ever break that connection open??? Probably takes teflon tape or thread seal to re-connect????????? ANYBODY?????????????

Thanks.

What about lees there? I know you know some stuff - you ain't gotta' hold out there ya' know.........

Old 10-19-2007, 06:44 PM
cwb

Replace? Re-install?

That's a pretty heavy-duty clamp. Looks like a grade 5 or 8 bolt too - I can't tell by the markin's. Probably $30 at Chevy. Looks like it will spread the load pretty good too, whereas a U-clamp could break the weld joint by not spreadin' the load good.

[sm=smiley25.gif][sm=smiley25.gif][sm=smiley25.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/DE0C34818DFA4B35BD378EEA2BB9EA61.jpg[/IMG]
The clamp wasn't spot-welded into place - looks like it was riveted into the pipe that's on the outside at the joint.

If I do re-use this guy, I'm thinkin' put some exhaust patch material inside the clamp, just to insure the clamp load gets spread good on the pipe......
[sm=feedback.gif]

Old 10-19-2007, 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: rshiver

Yeah, as much fluid as possible. That fluid is barely red, and no shift problems. And we don't wanna' get into this territory any time soon. And whaddya think of that clamp there?

How bout them fittin's? Anything special about em? I got a vacuum pump for fluid, that I can attach to one of the lines. You ever break that connection open??? Probably takes teflon tape or thread seal to re-connect????????? ANYBODY?????????????

Thanks.

What about lees there? I know you know some stuff - you ain't gotta' hold out there ya' know.........
Is that a hanger clamp for the exhaust? it should be fine.

The lines on the transmission are more than likely flared fittings, if they are you will probably need two wrenches, one to hold the adapter fitting that's screwed into the transmission, and one to loosen the flared fitting, you don't want to twist the tubing. You won't need any Teflon tape or anything with the flared fittings, just get them good and tight when you put them back.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:19 AM

Should use a line wrench instead of an open end for the flared fittings. I know they have another, proper, name, but that's what I know them as. It is a wrench with a six sided box endwith a slot cut out so it will slide over the line. It helps to keep from crushing or rounding off the aluminum nut on the fitting. Thought I would mention it just in case you or somebody elsereading this doesn't already know about this.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:28 AM
cwb

Day 4, to change the tranny fluid and filter.You can probably do it in 3 hours. This car ain't my daily rider, and I'm kinda' meticulous about screwin' stuff up

I got the top line disconnected, and no gusher. Not a drop. Apparently, that top line feeds directly into the pan - no hardware. I got 8 ounces of juice from it (and a mess). Lotta' resistance from it tho' with the sucker.......

now on to the lower line..............................

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/DB15BD966A214E70B32D4FEB9CF362E2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/BC11C738C85F44139581454C49880844.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/19DFE081DE084AD4BD35969585C99329.jpg[/IMG]

EDIT: the lower line didn't give up any goodies..........

Quick Reply: tranny filter swap...