Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

troublesome c4

Old 03-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Default troublesome c4

hey whats up, alright well whats going on is my 91 c4 corvette is having problems. i drove it one weekend then put it back in storage, the following week i went to get it out after i cleaned it and it cranked but would not start. now my father and i have changed the distributor and distributor components, and the spark plugs. it starts but now it runs wayy too rich and to keep it running you have to keep it around 3k rpms or it shuts off. one of times we tried to start it it backfired into the airbox. we have done some research but at this point were out of ideas on whats wrong. the injectors arent stuck open and it is firing on all cylinders. anyone who has had this happen to them or who has any ideas on whats wrong please all help would be greatly appreciated. my biggest fear is its the computer because i dont have any more money to replace the chip or the computer itself. thanks a bunch i appreciate the help
kevin

Old 03-27-2009, 08:14 PM

I don't know anything about TPI's but could this be a MAF problem?

Old 03-28-2009, 06:12 AM

I'm no expert but if it's getting gas and getting spark I would say it's a timing issue. I would go back over the distributor stuff.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:50 PM
Default solution found

we eventually decided to plug in the aldl scanner even though it wasnt throwing any check engine lights, what we found was actually a very simple problem, the coolant temperature temperature sensor was broken and reading -35 degrees so it just kept dumping fuel into the car and making it cut out. replaced the temp probe and viola problem solved, throwing in new plugs and plug cables for good measure and fresh fluids

Old 04-13-2009, 10:09 AM

That's Great News and another reason to stress the importance of maintaining your recommended thermostat .
The computer is using temps to adjust fuel and air and it's based on having the proper thermostat in there.
Too cool fools it into dumping fuel into a not warmed up engine.
Oh and we don't need to say that our new reformulated fuel burns hotter and likes a hotter operating temperture to be happy.
I just did ! Oh well !

Search this Thread