Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Vapor lock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default Vapor lock?

Hi All,
My '87 L98 auto stalled on me the other day and I was wondering if these cars are prone to vapor lock. I was dropping my wife off at work and setting while she gathered her things and it just stalled. RPM's are normal and the temp was within normal range at @202. I had the ac on. I tried to start it immediately 2 or 3 times but no go. It would fire and stumble but not catch. Tried to listen for the fuel pump each time but surrounding noise was too loud. I let it set for about 30 seconds and tried again to start it and she fired right up as if nothing happened. Ran great the rest of the day. I have started it twice since with no problems but have not driven it any where for fear of being stranded. ......I miss driving it........Could it have been a vapor lock or perhaps trash in the fuel tank, or something more serious? Also I noticed the after I turn the ignition off the pump continues to run for a few seconds and ends with a series of clicks(relay?) from under the hood.Never noticed that before. What do y'all think? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

PS: could it be a bad fuel pressure regulator?
PPS: Just looking for some feedback before I break out the .44 cal.universal wrench. I've already got a growing bald spot.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:28 PM
cwb
Default RE: Vapor lock?

Hey George...

If you got any jam in yer' fuel lines, it will show if you can do pressure test as recommended in the 'TPI article found" post that I did.

The article said test two ways in the driveway - with vacuum connected, without vacuum connected, and on the road under full throttle. For the third, ya' gotta' get the missus to run alongside with the guage in one hand, and a pencil and paper in the other...

Just kiddin' there; ya' gotta get the guage connected to a 2 foot lenth of line, and tape it to the windshield. It's the only way I've heard of, 'less you got one of them drum roller set-ups in yer' garage...

Old 10-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Charles, I did a pressure check setting in the driveway not too long ago and it was right on the money. I'll do the full throttle running down the road thing and see what transpires. I'll also check out that artical...I think I saved it. Thanks, George

Old 10-04-2007, 04:44 PM

Howdy Blueshark, lets just leave the .44 cal.universal wrench in the tool box for the time being.

I would doubt vapor lock, unless you have a fuel line laying against or close to an exhaust pipe. It takes heat to cause vapor lock.

You can do like cwb said and place a fuel pressure guage somewhereso you can watch what the pressure is doing in real time, and especially when it starts acting up.

One other thing, mine did basically the same thing one time. The connection at the MAF sensor had a corroded connection. If that's not connected good, it won't run

Old 10-04-2007, 04:57 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: blueshark

Charles, I did a pressure check setting in the driveway not too long ago and it was right on the money. I'll do the full throttle running down the road thing and see what transpires. I'll also check out that artical...I think I saved it. Thanks, George
https://www.corvetteforums.com/upfil...DAF97A25E6.jpg

https://www.corvetteforums.com/m_37283/tm.htm

Old 10-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

rshiver,
I Appreciate the reply. I will check the connection at the MAF and do the gage thing when I pick my wife up this evening. I figured they would have engineered the possibility of vapor lock out long ago but you never know. Doesn't hurt to ask, LOL.
These little annoying problems make me want to sell the '87 and finish the BB C3 real quick. All this electronic dooky..... Give me a carburetor and points any day.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: cwb

https://www.corvetteforums.com/upfil...DAF97A25E6.jpg

https://www.corvetteforums.com/m_37283/tm.htm

Thanks for the link, Man.....saves me from searchin' the hard drive. Cool! What a country!

Old 10-04-2007, 05:01 PM
cwb

All this electronic dooky.....
You just described the whole planet.

Figure how it is, or pay someone else to rip you off, and NOT fix it.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: cwb

All this electronic dooky.....
You just described the whole planet.

Figure how it is, or pay someone else to rip you off, and NOT fix it.
Or... gut the engine box and install an old school thumper.

And for being ripped of and not fixing it...That's another use for the .44 cal. universal wrench....eh?

Old 10-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Blueshark, there are actually about 3 things that would make it act as you described. MAF as rshiver said, ignition, and fuel control (which would include injector pulse, fuel supply which would include power to the pump as which there are 2 sources for that, and pump itself). The 2 sources are the fuel pump relay and oil pressure switch which are redundant.

Quick Reply: Vapor lock?