Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Vapor lock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Vapor lock?

[ul][*]The fuel pressure is instantly 39psi with key on. Turn it to start and it drops to 38psi and maintains during idle. Snap throttle and it jumps to 41 psi and immediately returns to 38psi. [/ul]
[ul][*]No codes at this time.[/ul]
[ul][*]The plugs look good and only have about 2000 miles on them. I'll get a spark checker as well. Is this checker you speak of the little thingy you put in line with the plug or does it fit over the wire like on a meter.[/ul]
[ul][*]The run-on continues for4 or5 seconds as opposed to 2 seconds and the clicking is a quick series of clicks for maybe 2 seconds almost like what ever it is, is sticking. [/ul]
[ul][*]The other noise I hear from the fuel rail/pressure regulator?, sounds like liquid or a combination of air and liquid being forced at a reasonable pressure thru the lines at a high rate for 4 or 5 seconds, then it slows for just a fraction of a second and abruptly stops. Coincides with the pump run-on.[/ul]
[ul][*]Could the regulator be bleeding air in to the rail? I guess it could be coming from anywhere along the supply line that has a joint as well. I'll have to investigate this thought further.Any in-sites here?[/ul]
[ul][*]What should it cost to have the injectors balance tested by a reputable shop or dealer?[/ul]
[ul][*]Unfortunately I was in a busy parking lot at the time and didn't get to pay attention to the tach. I will certainly watch if it does it again. I hate intermittent problems[/ul]
[ul][*]I drove it last night and today and it ran absolutely perfect. which is scary in it self, LOL, but perfect none the less. I don'tlike being stranded all that much myself , but it's not the end of the world to me as I am kinda use to it once in a while, with all the old cars I have but my wife has a fit if we are stopped somewhere because of the car. Y'all know how that is I'm sure, most women just don't appreciate a classic car and that this is all part of owning them.[/ul]
[ul][*]I really appreciate all the help. Y'all are great folks and this is a great place and I appreciate your time spent addressing my problem. Aren't cars/Vettes great? ....My bald spot is growing. [sm=headbang.gif][/ul]

Old 10-12-2007, 11:46 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: blueshark

yup, sounds real familiar to that thread. I still haven't figured that out. I can't get it to do it again. Kinda makes me wary of drivin' it.

Don't give up, the answer will come. Cheers
Only one thing to do then there George... Keep on drivin' till the problem stays with ya', then you'll have it where ya' want it

Old 10-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

That's what I was thinkin'. Never give up. It's frustrateing but this life is short so why sweat the small stuff like bein' stuck in a parking lot. If the parking lot is at a great retauraunt that's even better. When it happens again I'll be ready.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Well, it died this morning. Went out and started it up, did just fine, fired right up. Pulled it forward so I could get my truck out and it died. Now I can not hear the pump run. Turns over but no start. Pump does not come on at all. What do you all think that loud clicking under the hood was? it was quite loud when it happened. I heard nothing today it just died. I guess I'll start with pulling the pump out and check it with the battery and see if I'm getting power. If it's the dang pump that makesthe third pump in just over a year. Something is up! The clicking has me wondering. It was a quick series of loud clicks. Just didn't sound right. Where exactly is the fuel pump relay located?I'm confused...which ain't hard to do. Cheers

Old 10-22-2007, 11:15 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: blueshark

Well, it died this morning. Went out and started it up, did just fine, fired right up. Pulled it forward so I could get my truck out and it died. Now I can not hear the pump run. Turns over but no start. Pump does not come on at all. What do you all think that loud clicking under the hood was? it was quite loud when it happened. I heard nothing today it just died. I guess I'll start with pulling the pump out and check it with the battery and see if I'm getting power. If it's the dang pump that makesthe third pump in just over a year. Something is up! The clicking has me wondering. It was a quick series of loud clicks. Just didn't sound right. Where exactly is the fuel pump relay located?I'm confused...which ain't hard to do. Cheers
Hey George... Sounds pretty definitive the pump needs butter (cause it's toast), but make sure before ya' pull it....

I don't think you have to pull the pump to test it, do ya'? Find a place where the pump power lead goes into the tank, put a meter on it and ground the meter negative.

Got power? If so, ya' gotta check to see if it's gettin' grounded (I don't have a clue where the pump ground is - it might be integral with the pump mount, or tank mount). If the ground wire comes back out, then you can test it. Put the (+)on the ground wire, and ground the (-) meter probe to the frame.

Still got power? The pump is probably good - check the fuel pressure again.

If ya' got no power comin' in to the pump, work back to the relay, then further,till you DO find power (and the short)

Old 10-23-2007, 05:53 AM

Hey Blueshark, on my 85, the FP relay is located on the fire wall, left of the break booster and near the wiper motor. It may be in the same place on yours, I'm not sure though.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Where are you getting your pump? Autozone? If so, that more than explains it. Stay away from Autocrap parts as they are pure junk.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Guys, I will check the pump and relay this week end and report back.

The first two were from the dreaded autozone. The last one was genuine GM. But I probably got the only bad one in the state with my luck.

For all I know I could go out there right now and the aggravatin' thing would probably fire right up.

Thanks for the info and replies fellas. Cheers.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

The pump seams fine. I went out this after noon and it fired right up. ran for about 1 minute and stalled. The tach was fine and showed the RPM as it stalled. I tried several more times and it would not start. I looked under the hood and disconnected what I believe is the fuel pump relay. the one on the fire wall just inboard of the break booster. It made a kind of buzzing noise when the car stalled. I unplugged it and tapped on it a few times, plugged it back in and tried to start it again. Started right up and died about a minutes later. I hooked up the fuel pressure gage and tried it again. couldn't hear the fuel pump come on at all. let it set for a few minutes and tried it again. it started and ran for a minute and stalled. I watched the fuel pressure slowly drop and when it reached about 15 lbs it stalled. I found that if I just bumped the ignition but not start it the pump would come on and run for a few seconds and build the pressure up to 42lbs, normal. I bled the pressure off and I did this several times to check the pump. Bumping the ignition would make the pump come on and build pressure and the car would start. If I just held it to start it would not start until the oil pressure got up, and some times would not start at all. Each time I did this the relay that I assume is the pump relay would buzz as if it was sticking. I let the car run for some time and even went for a spin down the road and it never stalled. I noticed the oil pressure each time it would start and it would get to about 6lbs before it would start. Could the relay be sticking and causing it to turn the pump off over riding the redundant oil pressure switch?

Old 10-27-2007, 12:15 AM

a trick to get you home(beat on the tank with a heavy flashlight or tool for a few seconds) this is not a substitute for a new pump but it a lot of times will get you home rather than being stuck in a parking lot[:@], and yes I have had to do this before... but most of the time it works for me to ' limp it home is cheaper than a towing bill'

Quick Reply: Vapor lock?