Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Velcro strip for convertible roof coming apart

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Default RE: Velcro strip for convertible roof coming apart

Oh man, I had a great night last night on this topic!! Too good not to share here... I got a call from a local 'Vette owner/enthusiast who was SO friendly!! He kept saying "you didn't just buy a car, you joined a club, let me help you out." I am overwhelmed with the kindness and fellowship I have found since gettin' our dream car, here at the forums and from a new friend here locally...

So anyways, he's got a 1987 convertible, too, and had the exact same problem. He is bringing over some heavy duty velcro that he used to fix his and is going to help me slap it on there. I insisted on paying him SOMETHING for his kindness and trouble, but he flatly refuses. It's actually a 45 minute drive from where he is to us, and him and his wife are gonna drop the top and come up to our place.

I CANNOT believe how cool this all is! I have made more friends in the last month since we got this car, than I have in the last 20 years. It's a fellowship, indeed!

I'll keep this thread updated as we move along, just in case anyone else has similar problems, they can use this thread as a reference. I'll also post pictures of the fixed results. Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2006, 07:38 PM

Top, I'm very interested in what he uses. My top on my 90 roadster is doing the same thing. I hate those things flapping in the breeze. Will he come to Massachusetss next ha ha. Anyways keep me posted. Thanks.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Bagpipingjake

Top, I'm very interested in what he uses. My top on my 90 roadster is doing the same thing. I hate those things flapping in the breeze. Will he come to Massachusetss next ha ha. Anyways keep me posted. Thanks.
I'll ask him if he'll come down to see you over the weekend. Please, don't hold your breath though. LOL

No problemo, my friend, will do. Like I said, I'll post a concise story of what went down, and some photos of the after effects. From what I understand, this is definately gonna fix it up, so it should work good for you too.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:19 AM

Top how did you make out with the velcro?

Old 08-22-2006, 02:18 PM

Oh, thanks for the reminder, bro! Yeh, well... it went good and bad.

A new local Vette friend and his wife came over on Sunday afternoon for a visit. REAL nice folks! We have new friends here now...

Anyways, he brought some heavy duty velcro and some goop remover. We had a bear of a time gettin' the old crap off, we both think this repair has been attempted at least once before. Finally got it clean, applied new heavy duty velcro, looks great!

Here's the kicker. The older part on the liner flap that has the old "felt" on it still, will not stick to the newer heavy duty velcro teeth strip on the steel frame! I guess I have to go to an upholstery shop after all... I'll keep this thread updated as we move along, but it will probably be several weeks before I can get to it again.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:04 PM

OK, first run of repair complete, now to leave it for a few days to see how it fares.

Here's what I did.... I went to our local Canadian Tire and picked up a roll of normal Velcro. Here's the chain of events so far:
1) Came home
2) Stripped the old stuff off
3) Cleaned it with Goo-Gone
4) Washed the cleaned area with a little soap and water
5) Waited for it to dry thouroughly
6) Used my old piece as a template to cut a new piece with
7) Carefully placed the new strip on the frame; the box says NOT to move the strip once it's been placed as this will definately affect the stickiness of the glue
8) Took an Exacto-Knife and carefully, carefully cut the excess bit near the top of the frame where it narrows, to ensure there was no overlapping bit that would prematurely wear away from the roof with putting it up and down
9) Let it sit for 12 hours or so; the box said the adhesive would seat fully in 24 hours
10) Went on the highway, with windows down... so far SUCCESS!

I am not sure that the adhesive will stick well over time, but to be honest when I took a real close look at it this morning it seems to be on there pretty darned good to me. Also, now I have many extra feet of this stuff in the ol' garage, so if I need to do this every 6 months or so I really don't mind.

Thanks for all your support guys with this. I wanted to update this thread in case anyone else was experiencing the same. I will post further if I notice anything in the near future with the fix, otherwise I will consider this a viable way to tackle this issue.