Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Default whining noise

Ive had my 94 for around 6 months now and ever since i got it, there has been a whining noise that i thought was the power steering. I had the power steering check out and was told that there was no problem other than my fluid was low and they refilled that for me. The noise is pretty prominent over all the engine noise. I can even hear it inside the car unless i have my music up loud. Has anyone else had this problem or know what it is? I was thinking maybe my pulleys or the serpentine belt was just wearing thin, but those are all in good condition. any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:16 AM
Default RE: whining noise

Is it possible coming from the speakers? If an alternator or battery is going bad, it will cause a whining sound.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:23 PM

the noise isnt coming from the speakers, i checked that this morning. when the radio is off the noise is still there. i was thinking about the alternator though. maybe that needs to be replaced. or my fan. i dont know im sooo confused.

Old 02-09-2006, 04:00 AM

the alternator is very easy to get it checked out. just go to any auto parts store and they can usually test it while its still in the car.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:17 PM

Thanks ill have it checked out. Hopefully ill get rid of this God awful noise

Old 02-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Probably a bearing noise, either from your alternator or water pump, maybe a/c compressor hub bearing. Take notice if the noise is there when the compressor is running either with a/c on or when your defrost is running. Another possibility is the smog pump (if your car is equipped with it). You can try and isolate the noise with a broomstick (don't laugh) by placing one end on suspect part with engine running (be very careful, you know, spinning parts, etc.) and placing the other end against your ear. The noise will travel throught the stick and be magnified in your ear.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:51 AM

I had the same problem with my 94, It made the noise during the test drive ( i got such a deal i bought it anyway :-). It has been 3 days and I havent heard it since. And yes it was loud, odd tone and intermittant. I assumed due to the tone it was a bearing, altenator, waterpump. But I hoped it was just a belt. Turns out, it went away knock on wood.

Old 02-12-2006, 11:32 AM

Yeah, i got a great deal on mine too. it only had 75k and other than the noise and a few other problems that were very easy to fix (i.e. window didnt roll down do to loose connection) the car runs great. But i did try and find out where the noise is coming from and it is definately coming from right where my alternator sits. I dont think it could be the A/C or the Defrost because i barely ever use those and the noise is always there. I am hoping it might be the alternator or the pulleys which i am going to replace both in the very near future anyway and maybe that will take car of it. But if not, i dont know what im going to do.

Old 02-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Most rebuilt alternators come with pulleys, although it is highly unlikely the pulley is making the noise. Most likely the front bearing is, since it takes the load. Good Luck. The compressor hub bearing will make the noise whether the compressor is operating or not, since the hub spins with the engine.[8D]

Old 02-12-2006, 03:25 PM

I agree with mech 259, You should be able to hear the difference between the belt or bearing they have distinct sounds the bearing is more of a whine then a squeek if that makes any sence.

good luck

tom

Quick Reply: whining noise