Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Wnat to help a buddy

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Default Wnat to help a buddy

Hoping you folks here can help. A good friend of mine is looking for a '90-'94. Wondering what sort of problems to look for. I am aC2 (64 Coupe) guy and have no idea what to look for as far as red flag areas. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks in advance.

Mike Shea

Old 11-08-2006, 02:35 AM
Default RE: Wnat to help a buddy

well first of all the 90 and 91 had the L98 and 92 and up had the LT1, so he should decide which engine he wants, both great engines btw. the L98s big problems were the digi dash going out. and the early LT1s had the opti spark which likes to go out on you. both are somewhat expensive to replace. but besides that, just look for leaks, make sure all accessories function as they should, no codes, and make sure the engine and tranny perform well.

And if you get to drive it around make sure all temps and readings are in the correct range. Im sure i will think of more things later.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:14 AM

If hes picky like me, no scratches, gashes dents in the car. Removable top option make sure its secured and the bolts are not stripped. All power windows, locks, seats, mirrors should work. Make sure your tires are in decent shape. RUN A CARFAX!!! Make sure nothing is dragging under the car. Check the Emergency brake. That is a must if its a manual. Seats are not ripped. Carpet not faded. No under hood problems that are visable. NO rough idle. Have a mechanic YOU TRUST check it out before purchasing. Make sure the headlights pop up/down. Check the shox as they may be worn and squeak. Ask how often the fluids were changed. Make sure your heat is hot and your air is cold. Check your speakers Radio ect. Thats pretty much it. Hopefully rasin or someone else can think of something I cant.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:59 PM

Weather stripping tends to leak around windows.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:58 PM

Other things to look at is the undercariage. This is where most people dont lokk at, just the paint ans interior, Have the car looked at from top to bottom, have the suspenion front and rear looked at for wear and bent parts, brakes check them too.My advice is to have the vette looked at with avette mech have it checked out from top to bottom.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:26 PM

Instrument clusters, wiring, switches, motors, anything electrical. If your buddy is good troubleshooting electrical problems, I'd say those are the C4's worse enemy. Most of the parts are avaliable, just takes some time to understand the corvettes electrical wiring and components. I work on electrical equipment with relays, so working on a vette is a challenge, but not impossible.

Why is your buddy looking for a vette? A 20 year old vette is not a great daily driver if your buddy does not have another vehicle to drive when repairs are being made. Figure $2000 a year in maintenance and repairs (it is a twenty year old car), but I'd bet good money some have averaged twice that

Old 06-15-2007, 06:30 AM

I recently purchased a '90 coupe and am very satisfied with it. The rubber sealing around windows, targa top, etc. is an ongoing problem but if you keep it out of sun as much as possible and lubricate it with rubber treatment designated for this it will greatly increase life. Lots of upgrade available from
different suppliers. Most everything else has been covered. Naturally the lower the miles the better.