Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

?? about the Hypertech Programmer

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Default ?? about the Hypertech Programmer

I just bought the Hypertech Programmer for my vette and it sounds pretty easy to install. The instructions state, "Just plug it into the diagnostic plug under the dashboard and answer a few yes and no questions." I was wondering if any of you have had experience with this after-market product. Do you think it would be a mistake to do this myself, or should I pay to have it done?

Thanks in advance.
RJ

Old 11-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Default RE: ?? about the Hypertech Programmer

Hi Rita
thats cool. you'll have to let me / us know how this turns out for you, and how much of a difference you notice after you get it programmed.
I have heard both pros and cons here about the programmers, so can't wait to get your take on it.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:56 PM

Rita, if all you're going to do is reprogram the computer with the performance pre-set program, do it yourself. But unless you know a lot about motors, leave it at that. I Put a diablo program on my Camaro and it was the easiest thing ever. Maybe you could mess with your cooling fans to run your engine cooler, but dont change the timing or anything like that. Unless you know what you're doing. I can't stress this enough. Unless you want to really damage your engine.

Hope I Helped,
Jonathan

Old 11-28-2006, 12:15 AM

ORIGINAL: gorichb

Hi Rita
thats cool. you'll have to let me / us know how this turns out for you, and how much of a difference you notice after you get it programmed.
I have heard both pros and cons here about the programmers, so can't wait to get your take on it.
Hi Rich -
I will definitely let you/everyone know how this works out. As advertised, it looks pretty good. I'm not expecting major changes, just some improvements with the overall performance of my baby. My mechanic said it is the combination of a C.A.I. system, a customized exhaust system, and the programmer that really produces the results. As you know, I am still waiting for the Vararam to be smog legal and fortunately already have my cat-back exhaust sytem, so I thought while waiting for the stickers on the C.A.I. , I would go ahead and get the programmer. Sounds reasonable to me,

BTW - do you have a shop you can recommend? I like my guy, but think he is asking too much to install this programmer. That makes me wonder if I could be better served elsewhere.

Thanks again for always being so helpful. Hope you and your family had a blessed Thanksgiving.

Take care, stay safe.
Rita

Old 11-28-2006, 12:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Navy Flyboy

Rita, if all you're going to do is reprogram the computer with the performance pre-set program, do it yourself. But unless you know a lot about motors, leave it at that. I Put a diablo program on my Camaro and it was the easiest thing ever. Maybe you could mess with your cooling fans to run your engine cooler, but dont change the timing or anything like that. Unless you know what you're doing. I can't stress this enough. Unless you want to really damage your engine.

Hope I Helped,
Jonathan
Hi Jonathan,
Thanks so much for your input and for the sound advice. I will be sure to have someone else install the programmer, as I want to get as much out of it as possible and not just the bear minimum.

BTW - I live in a Navy town . . . so glad to see you are state-side.
Thank you for your service.
Take care, stay safe.
Rita

Old 11-28-2006, 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: rjensen

BTW - do you have a shop you can recommend? I like my guy, but think he is asking too much to install this programmer. That makes me wonder if I could be better served elsewhere.

Thanks again for always being so helpful. Hope you and your family had a blessed Thanksgiving.

Take care, stay safe.
Rita

Yes Rita we had a very nice Thanksgiving, Thank You. It was the first year in many many years that i actually was off Thanksgiving, so with that and the vacation it was wonderful.

As for the shop. The only one i have been dealing with here in town, is a local muffler / performance shop. Unfortunately with you being in Southern Ca. thats not going to help you much. It's tough to find a good mechanic, and one that is reasonable out there. How much did he quote you to do the tuning for you?
After reading Navy Flyboy's post, it definately sounds like something a professional, and knowledgable shop should tackle.
Again be sure to let us know how it turns out for you.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:58 PM

He said $100 - $150. I don't mind paying $100 (an hours labor), but $150 is exorbinate, since the instructions say it is simple. You just plug it into the diagnostic plug and answer a few yes and no questions - should take 20 minutes. I'll ask him again when I get the programmer and explained that I realize that much about the product. Maybe he will stick to $100 when he realizes I'm not a total duck.

Or I may do it myself if the instructions give enough info regarding the questions, since it says you can reprogram it back to stock at any time. I'l let the Forum know.

Take care, stay safe.
Rita

Old 11-28-2006, 06:59 PM

Hi Rita,

I just installed one of those programs on my GMC truck. It was simple except when they started asking about rev limiters and changing the shift points. They give advice on that in the directions, but maybe someone on here could tell you what you should imput on those. One thing about that program is you can take it off anytine, like the directions say. In fact you need to take it off to take your car in for service. the program imputs info into the car computer, but then it knows where its info went and can not be used again except to take it off your car or change your car back to stock settings or change the settings you put in. If the dealer were to change something durring a service on your chip, the programer would not work anymore, so you take it off, then reprogram it when you get it home.

I would suggest you do it yourself, the hundred bucks would be better spent when you take it to someone who has a dyno machine.

Good luck

Bob

Old 11-28-2006, 10:30 PM

I totally agree with bobalou. It's totally easy. Just don't mess with the timing or fuel/air ratio, or stuff like that. But just to simply put the performance program on there. Way easy. Just plug and play. Need to go in for service? Take an extra 20 minutes to plug and play again. Simple as that. See, what it does is, it takes the program in the ECU now and exchanges it with the Performance Tune. Henceforth, you got the stock tune on the programmer and the performance tune on the car. That's why you can only use it for one car, you can't use it on multiple applications. Don't waste your money Rita, do it yourself. If you want a really good dyno tune, then you should spend your money. Because they will hook a laptop with the LS Edit program on it to your car, put it on the dyno, and actually tweak the car WHILE it is running. But when it comes to your Programmer, do it yourself. If you do exactly what the instrustions say, you'll be fine.

Jonathan

Old 11-29-2006, 12:25 AM

Thanks Bob & Jonathan!
I greatly appreciate you both taking the time to reply and sharing your experience with programmers. I'm pretty good with stuff like this, so I will be doing it myself. Hopefully, someone will chime in with some info on the rev limiter and shifting points. I'll also be doing some research on the web.

Again, thank so much.
Take care, stay safe.
Rita

Quick Reply: ?? about the Hypertech Programmer