Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

ABS and traction control light

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Exclamation ABS and traction control light

Hi All my 02 auto has the abs and traction control lights comming on upon startup and stays on for a long peroid of time, maybe 45 mins. I can stop the car at numerous places and kill the engine as I go inside and start the car again and still the lights come on. But after about 45 mins of driving the lights will no longer come on after the engine is killed and turned back on, then its good for the rest of the day. Has anyone had any similar problems and if so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:47 PM

Do you know how to check the codes?

http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm

This'll narrow down the cause of the problem.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Thumbs up

Daveo1, wow! I didnt know about this site, it is awesome. Of course I do what the site tells me and my car is acting good now ( just h codes ). Thanks a bunch for the info, it will come in handy.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:06 PM

Robert,

If weird electrical things happen, you might want to check the wiring and connectors that are inside the accordian wire bundle covering that can be seen when the driver's door is opened (near the hinge). Loose wires tend to intermittently short and cause all kinds of weird things to happen.

If the ABS, Traction control, and Active handling lights come on and stay on, chances are that the EBCM needs to be repaired or replaced.

Dave

Old 12-29-2009, 02:43 PM

Dave01,

Here is the code that I have gotten C1214 Sol Valve Relay Contact or Coil CKT Open. I have been trying to find out where exactly this might be with little luck. I will check the harness as you have stated and all the fuses as well now. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Thumbs up ECBM needs to be repaired

Dave01, After doing some research I went to absfixer.com and this code is a common problem. All I need to do is remove the ebcm as you have stated and send it in to be repaired, and from what I can tell the cost will be around 150 bucks with free overnight shipping. I am going to remove the ecbm now and try to get it shipped off tomorrow. Will keep everyone up to date.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:52 PM

Robert,

The 1214 code may be the check valve that is located behind the intake manifold. There should be more codes that would indicate the EBCM is bad. If so, here is the procedure to remove it:

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/Ele...l%20Module.pdf

Dave

Old 01-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Talking :)

NO MORE WARNING LIGHTS! Thanks Dave01, I recieved the ebcm friday from abs fixer and installed it yesterday and no more warning lights. Not only are they annoying but also embarrasing as well. Naturally I had to test to see if all works properly ( traction control, abs, active handling ) and they do so I'm happy. Once again thanks.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:53 PM

Great news, Bob! I replaced my EBCM about a year ago.

Dave

Old 09-16-2012, 07:51 PM

I have a 2001 Corvette convertible. It has the telescopic steering wheel. I have had the active handling, ABS, and traction control come on the computer. At first it said service soon, and was just active handling and traction control, now it says ABS as well. The illuminized lights stay on the dash as well. I drove the car the first week in June on the Hot Rod Power Tour 2012 and the lights did not come on one time. Now the message comes on every time I drive it, and the symbols of skidding and ABS illuminzed lights stay on the dash all the time. I hope I am making myself clear. I have not been on a forum before, but I find this one very helpful. Thanks for any help I can get.

Quick Reply: ABS and traction control light